Position Title: International Expert
Duty Station: Homebased with travels to Azerbaijan
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. In 2001, Azerbaijan became an IOM member state through the formalization of cooperation between IOM and the Government of Azerbaijan. More information is available athttps://azerbaijan.iom.int/
Project: Enhancing Passenger Processing Capacities in Azerbaijan in Line with International Best Practices and Standards
IDF-funded project aims to enhance border management and security in Azerbaijan by strengthening legal and technical capacities in Advance Passenger Information (API) and Passenger Name Record (PNR) systems and enhancing passenger processing in compliance with the international standards.
In order to achieve the project objective, IOM will have a two-track approach to enhancing the national capacity on API/PNR, more concretely: (1) facilitate the policy dialogue and coordination among the government agencies for the implementation of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standards pertaining to API/PNR and (2) reinforce the skills of State Customs Committee on traveller’s control procedures.
IOM established an API/PNR Inter-Institutional Working (IIWG) to ensure proper coordination on API/PNR issues between the state agencies. The following agencies are represented at the IIWG: Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), State Border Service (SBS), State Customs Committee (SCC), Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), Foreign Intelligence Service (FIS), State Migration Service (SMS), Special State Protection Service (SSPS), State Agency for Public Service and Social Innovations (ASAN), State Civil Aviation Agency (SCAA) and Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL).
Objective of the consultancy:IOM is seeking an international expert to lead the overview of the national legislative framework and technical capacities in place for the implementation of an API and PNR systems in Azerbaijan and, based on identified gaps, formulate recommendations for legislative changes (if any), in order for the State to align themselves fully with international standards related to API and PNR systems. The expert will work under the supervision of IOM Azerbaijan. The IOM Regional Office in Vienna can provide support, if needed. The international expert will be assisted by national (legal) expert.
Tasks to be performed under this contract:
- Support and guide the national expert by jointly compiling the list of laws to be reviewed and the interviews to be conducted with state agencies in order to complete the assignment.
- Develop a methodology (e.g. a checklist) for the legislative review.
- Perform a legislative review as it pertains to the implementation of API and PNR systems in Azerbaijan. This assessment will,inter alia, assess the alignment of the existing national legislation with relevant international and regional API and PNR standards, including those pertaining to data protection and data sharing.
- Conduct interviews, either in person or online (depending on travel restrictions) with relevant governmental counterparts and international partners, most notably UN Office of Counter-Terrorism, the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and the United Kingdom Border Force.
- Compile a draft report with recommendations, including draft legal API/PNR provisions.
- Based on the legal assessment contribute in preparation of the National API/PNR Roadmap in relevance to the National legislative part
- Conduct, facilitate and participate in two national workshops with Governments and other relevant actors, in order to present the findings of the assessments.
- Advise Government officials in Azerbaijan as necessary in the course of the project implementation and share best practices and lessons learned from other API and PNR projects.
- Submit a final assessment report in English language, incorporating feedback received from governmental counterparts and the international community, including key findings and recommendations
- Advise IOM staff on issues related to project activities.
Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment:
Final report in English language presenting assessment, key findings and recommendations IOM will provide all necessary support to both international and national expert, as well as national partners to deliver the products in the agreed timeframe.
Realistic delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered
Conductdesk research: develop a methodology, and gather and analyze relevant, up-to-date legislation from relevant sources
Conduct (if needed online) interviews with API / PNR Inter-Institutional Working Group (IIWG) member agencies as well as other relevant agencies and international partners
Depending on the current situation with COVID-19 and relating travel restrictions virtual (online) meetings can be arranged
5 days visit to Baku
Draft the report and submit to the Government of Azerbaijan for review/feedback and inclusion of possible inputs and concerns
Conduct a workshop (if needed online) to discuss initial findings and state agencies possible comments and inputs
Finalize the report based on received feedback and submit to IOM Azerbaijan
Conduct a final workshop (if needed online) to present the completed report
Expected Duration of the Consultancy:June 2020 – September 2020 (home-based with travel(s) to Azerbaijan – depending on current situation with COVID-19 and relating travel restrictions)
Target group:Azerbaijan’s relevant agencies.
Required Education and Experience
· Advanced university degree in law.
· At least 5 years of legal experience, preferably in the areas of legal reform, legislative review and legal drafting. Experience in reviewing API and PNR related legal framework is an asset.
· Experience in legal research and institutional assessment is an asset.
· Excellent up-to-date knowledge of the international regulatory framework related to API and PNR systems, including relevant ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices, technical specifications and related ICAO/IATA/WCO Guidance Material (including Annex 9 – Facilitation, Document 9957 Facilitation Manual) and EU legal framework related to API and PNR.
· Demonstrated ability to ensure compliance with the international regulatory framework related to API and PNR in previous API and PNR implementation projects.
· Demonstrated ability to identify API and PNR related legal gaps and needs and guide stakeholders in the process of law promulgation for a new API and PNR system.
· Knowledge of appropriate examples of good practice relating to legislative requirements for API and PNR.
· Demonstrated ability to assess complex situations in order to succinctly and clearly distil critical issues.
· Must be able to work independently and demonstrate excellent teamwork, coordination and facilitation skills; respond constructively to feedback and differing points of view.
· Analytical, research, reporting, communication, documentation, presentation and workshop conduction/facilitation skills.
· Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organizations etc); experience working with IATA and ICAO is an advantage.
· Excellent written and spoken English is required.
· Flexibility and ability to work in a deadline driven environment.
· Computer literate with ability to operate Windows applications.
· Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
The consultant is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Continuous Learning: promotes continuous learning for self and others
· Accountability: takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
· Communication: listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
The assessment is due to start in the beginning of June 2020. Start date can be negotiated with the successful applicant.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV in English by indicating name of the position applied in the subject line of the e-mailto firstname.lastname@example.org the end of31 May 2020.