Are you ready to use your finance and accounting acumen to restore vision for millions of people in frontier and emerging markets? Would you like to work for an organization that combines the best of business and social impact practices?
VisionSpring, an international social enterprise, seeks an international finance and accounting associate. The associate is responsible for maintaining accurate and timely financial records by entering, processing, and reconciling transactions in accordance with established procedures and formats. S/he will prepare reports and schedules to facilitate budget preparation, tax filing, monthly and annual financial reporting, and successful year-end audits. The associate will serve as the primary finance liaison to the Global Partnerships team, managing accounts receivable and expenses for field teams, and ensuring financial compliance for restricted grants. This position reports to the vice president of global finance and administration and is based in New York City.
- You are a finance and accounting superhero. You Excel 🙂 at making sure debits and credits are recorded correctly and your general ledger is always balanced.
- You value precision and easily keep track of the smallest details. Numbers are prepared on time and you strive for accuracy. You create clarity for external parties – investors, auditors, and vendors.
- You are analytical. You can read and understand budgets and financial statements, and you’re quick to notice when line items don’t add up. You scrutinize billing statements from vendors to ascertain their accuracy, and rectify errors as necessary.
- Your world needs to be predictable, so you make it so. Instinctively you adhere to routines and timelines, and help others appreciate the need for structure and repeatable processes.
- You can roll with punches. You recognize and expect that some weeks will be more intense than others. You are ready to deliver at the highest level to close the books every month, complete audits, and file taxes on time.
- You have a critical eye and are not afraid to be the first person to speak up if anything looks amiss. For you, organizational accountability is personal.
- Friends would describe you as trustworthy and structured, smart with low ego, resilient and highly ethical.
- We are creating access to affordable eyewear, everywhere. Clear vision creates opportunities for increased learning, work, safety, civic participation, and quality of life.
- As a social enterprise, social change motivates us first. Our focus on sales and revenue targets serves and advances our mission objective – to increase functioning, productivity, and income earning potential for our low-income consumers by correcting refractive error with eyeglasses.
- We are working to transform the systemic dysfunction of an optical market that has failed to deliver eyeglasses – a 700-year-old technology – to 2.5 billion consumers in need of vision correction, most of whom live on less than $4 a day.
- We serve low-income consumers, not as beneficiaries but as customers. Our customers expect a high-quality and affordable product, and they will spend limited discretionary income for the immediate and tangible benefits of vision correction.
- By selling eyeglasses, we awaken new demand and seed a viable market. By selling new eyeglasses we are able to serve four times as many people per dollar input than the alternative of donating recycled ones. To efficiently scale, we must deliver each new unit with lower cost.
- We run our business on both sales metrics and social impact measures. We exploit a range of organizational forms and practices to get the job done.
- We believe in scaling our impact, not our organization. We are a lean team of doers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Input checks, invoices, and deposits into QuickBooks.
- Input journal entries and accruals at the end of each month.
- Process all approved payments, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Input payroll information for New York office employees (~9) via journal entries.
- Reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Balance and maintain an accurate general ledger.
- Troubleshoot bookkeeping-related problems. Attain optimal resolutions when matters go awry.
Reporting and Budget Preparation
- Prepare monthly and year-end financial reports.
- Assist with annual and semi-annual budget preparation for VisionSpring’s work in India, New York, Bangladesh, and multiple countries in Africa.
- Perform additional administrative tasks as directed.
- Work with the vice president of global finance and administration to provide reports and schedules for annual audit and tax requirements, including 990 and 1099 reporting.
- Monitor changes in financial and accounting protocol/laws in target countries to maintain compliance.
Global Finance Support
- Serve as the primary finance liaison to the Global Partnerships team, managing accounts receivable and field team expenses.
- Work with the international logistics and procurement manager to track and maintain accurate inventory levels, in multiple countries, using QuickBooks.
- Manage the data maintenance for all restricted grants and ensure the accurate coding of expenses.
- As VisionSpring expands in key market countries, support and oversee locally-based bookkeeper(s).
- Minimum three (3) years of professional bookkeeping experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in accounting, finance, or another relevant field.
- Strong understanding of the practices and procedures of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as applied to financial accounting, reporting, and transactions.
- Must have general accounting experience using computerized accounting systems.
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial statements and reports.
- Technology savvy, including excellent Excel skills and strong working knowledge of QuickBooks.
- Preferred experience: (1) Working with organizations that have international operations; and/or (2) Supporting and taking part in an audit process.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented, with great analytical skills.
- Must meet the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Based on experience and education, and competitive for a social enterprise.
- We offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision, as well as 401(k) with match, pre-tax commuter plan, and generous vacation/personal time.
- We want to know more than just what you have done. We want to know who you are. What are the passions and talents that draw you to this role?
- Please submit your application, including a thoughtful cover letter and your CV/résumé, to: email@example.com. Please assure there is a short description of each company or organization on your CV/résumé. Include your last name and “IFA Associate” in the subject line.
- Please note, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
- VisionSpring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.