UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality for women as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Based on UN legislative mandates and the UNW Strategic Plan, the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific is tasked with providing strategic programme development, policy / technical advisory services and quality assurance support to Multi Country Offices and Country Offices. It undertakes or coordinates regional research and data analysis; advises on norms, policies and strategies for achieving the internationally and regionally agreed goals related to gender equality and women’s empowerment issues. It acts as a knowledge hub at the regional level, collecting evidence on progress and emerging issues and sharing knowledge on innovative approaches and lessons learned in implementation.
The outbreak of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) was first reported in Wuhan, China on December 31, 2019. Since then a global pandemic has been declared, with countries across the globe mobilizing to respond to the health crisis and manage the significant socio-economic impacts. This unprecedented crisis unfolds against many existing challenges: Asia and the Pacific is the most disaster-prone region in the world, and it is facing the ever-pressing threats of climate change and many large protracted crises and conflict. It is also unfolding amid persistent gender inequalities in the region: owing to structural inequalities and discriminatory gender norms, women account for only 18 per cent of parliamentarians,women’s employment is concentrated in the informal labour sector with limited protection, and women experience unacceptably high levels of intimate partner violence (IPV).
As countries in the region cope with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, they also grapple with the reality of exposure to multiple, severe natural hazards, exacerbated by the impacts of climate change, and potential for disasters within disasters. Against this landscape, the spread of COVID-19, if unmitigated, risks deepening pre-existing gender inequalities and rolling back the human rights of women and girls.
In this context, UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific seeks to hire a consultant to support implementation and development of programming on inclusive responses to COVID-19 in the Asia and Pacific Region, as well as to support humanitarian coordination for any further disasters and emergencies in the region.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Regional Advisor, Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Support development of new areas of work relating to preparedness and response for COVID-19 and disasters in the region, including drafting of project proposals and documents, and providing support to UN Women country offices.
- Provide support to knowledge management, monitoring, and reporting. This includes preparation of briefs and talking points; preparation and finalization of knowledge resources, collection and analysis of data, and providing inputs to quarterly reporting.
- Draft presentations and briefs for/or minutes from workshops, meetings and consultations with relevant stakeholders
- Support the organization of virtual consultations, meetings, and trainings for the humanitarian unit, including coordination and secretarial support for UN Women’s engagement in humanitarian coordination bodies.
- Provide targeted technical and coordination support on ad hoc basis to country offices for implementation of programmes relating to preparedness and response for COVID-19 and disasters in the Asia-Pacific region, including Secretariat support to specific coordination bodies co-chaired by UN Women as required.
How to apply
Please apply by midnight, NYC time, April 30 2020 athttps://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=91396&fbclid=IwAR0xl5HP…