Training Agency:UN System Staff College
Registration deadline:29 Oct 2018
Training date:05 Nov 2018to07 Dec 2018—
Co-designed by UNSSC Peace, Security and Humanitarian Action team and Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development, this new course has been developed in close collaboration with the UN Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO), the UN Development Operations Coordination Office (DOCO), and the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC).
The United Nations and its Member States face an array of complex and interrelated challenges to global peace. While the universal and comprehensive agenda for sustainable development and Sustaining Peace pledge to “leave no one behind”, the goals of peaceful coexistence and development are at risk in many countries.
The Sustaining Peace concept emerging from UN General Assembly and UN Security Council “twin-resolutions” marks a renewal of the UN’s commitment to the goal of preventing and resolving armed conflicts. It also calls for a shift from silo-driven responses to innovative ways of achieving collective and cumulative impact attaining to reach sustainable peace.
The resolutions articulate the need for a comprehensive, whole-of-system preventive lens to be applied to all development and humanitarian action and for inclusive peacebuilding approaches across the life cycle of conflict. Prevention is the foundation of building and sustaining peace. We need this approach more, now, than ever.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the concept and the core elements of Sustaining Peace;
- Explain the importance and role of the UN to promote sustaining peace;
- Articulate how Sustaining Peace relates to peacekeeping, peacebuilding, development, and humanitarian action;
- Explain the success factors to take the Sustaining Peace forward.
In contrast to the less collaborative format of traditional Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), this online course combines tutored components with synchronous and asynchronous activities, as well as group work and collaboration with peers. In addition to engaging in self-paced learning, participants in this UNSSC online course also benefit from live webinars with renowned experts and practitioners on Sustaining Peace, allowing real-time virtual interaction between the instructors and participants. The instructor-led webinars for this course will take place every week between 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm CET or 8 am – 10 am EST.
Through videos and key reading material, participants will dive deeper into each week’s focus area. In addition, case studies, good practices and tutored discussions will enhance the learning experience and deepen participants’ interaction and exchange on all components of the course.
This course is developed and hosted on UNSSC’s Social Learning Environment (CLANED): the platform will allow learners a high degree of flexibility to access content at their pace, from anywhere and at any time.
The online course is offered in a learning path format that allows participants to track personal developments, completion and study time.
Week 1: Understanding Sustaining Peace
Week 2: Peacekeeping, Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace
Week 3: Sustaining Peace and Development
Week 4: Sustaining Peace and Humanitarian Action
Week 5: Implementing Sustaining Peace
UN staff, practitioners outside the UN system interested in stepping up their capacity to deliver the Sustaining Peace agenda and work across the humanitarian-development-peace nexus.
Cost of participation
The course fee of 500 USD covers the following:
- Unlimited access to course materials (video and key readings), recording of webinars and speakers’ presentations;
- Participation in live webinars with renowned experts on Sustaining Peace;
- Exposure to peer-to-peer learning process through group work and online asynchronous activities;
- Exclusive access to our online learning platform with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues. Certificates of Participation will be awarded to participants, subject to completion of all modules and quizzes, successful submission of exercises and assignments, and participation in live online sessions and discussion forums for each topic covered in the course.
Register through the ‘Sign Up’ button on the course page:https://bit.ly/2xgH06T