The International Union for Conservation of Nature Netherlands (IUCN NL) is currently accepting applications for its Small grants for the Purchase of Nature (SPN) to enable strong local conservation NGOs to secure, connect and efficiently protect habitat of Red List species.
The IUCN NL programme Small grants for the Purchase of Nature (SPN) provide funds for local NGOs to acquire (through purchase or lease) threatened nature, create safe reserves and connect wildlife habitats for endangered species. Since its foundation in 2001, SPN has enabled the purchase of over 39.000 hectares.
The maximum financial assistance provided by SPN is Euro 85,000.
High priority will be given to:
- Land acquisition (through purchase or lease) to secure areas hosting species listed as threatened (CR, EN or VU) on the IUCN Red List .
- Acquisition of areas with a high biodiversity value, like AZE sites or IBAs;
- Land acquisition(through purchase or lease) of areas that are important for securing the connectivity in a landscape (corridors, stepping stones);
- Projects in which the acquisition of land is part of a broader approach to secure and restore connectivity in a fragmented landscape and / or to secure ecosystem services;
- Land acquisition (through purchase or lease) involving ecosystems underrepresented in the public protected areas system.
- Geographical range
- Only projects located in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Pacific are eligible for this programme.
- IUCN NL is specifically inviting NGOs from Central – and Southeast Asia, Central America and the Middle East to submit proposals.
- Implementing Organization
- Proposals can be submitted by local NGOs with:
- Experience and capacity concerning the effective management of a conservation area
- Experience and capacity in the field of project management, financial management and control
- Local Participation
- The project should seek to harmonize with the needs, views, expertise and experience of local stakeholders.
- The project should take into account local participation in conservation and management of the area to be acquired.
How to Apply
Interested NGOs should submit their pre-proposals electronically at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://www.iucn.nl/en/solutions/land-acquisition