IWMF Journalism Relief Fund for Women Journalists
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the IWMF is turning our attention to how we may best serve our community of women journalists at this unprecedented moment in history.
Based on early, anecdotal evidence of cancelled assignments, lost income and an inability to pay essential living expenses, we anticipate a great need for support within our global network of journalists – especially among freelancers with no safety net.
The IWMF’s Journalism Relief Fund is open to women-identifying journalists in dire straits – journalists who have faced significant financial hardship, lost work, were recently laid off or who urgently need assistance to avoid severe, irreversible outcomes.
This fund will provide small grants of up to $2,000 USD per request.
However, special consideration will be given on a case-by-case basis to those who have greater financial need.
If your situation is not urgent, we urge you NOT to apply to this fund.
We have limited staff capacity to review applications. Please do not delay help to your peers in need by submitting a request that is not urgent. We are all in this together. Be there for your peers so we can be there for all you.
The IWMF’s Journalism Relief Fund provides women-identifying journalists with the following:
- Living assistance to prevent homelessness and food insecurity
- Acute medical care and mental health services
- Legal supportTo be eligible for the IWMF’s Journalism Relief Fund, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a staff or freelance woman-identifying reporter, working in any medium, whose primary profession is journalism (priority would be given to freelancers and journalists recently laid off);
- Has worked full-time as a journalist within six months of applying for assistance;
- Apply for assistance directly related to the global health crisis;
- And, has no other sources of income available at this time.
- To request assistance from the IWMF’s Journalism Relief Fund, you must complete this preliminary questionnaire. All requests will undergo a verification process.Requests that do not meet the criteria above will not be considered. Requests will be reviewed daily.
Applications Accepted All Year Round!
For more information and application details, see; IWMF Journalism Relief Fund for Women Journalists