Islamic Relief Somalia (IRS) has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to conflict and drought affected people through provision of life saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly to ones living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation and strengthening of community cohesiveness and co-existence. The lab technician is expected to be capable of performing all laboratory diagnostic tests independently and manage laboratory services and quality control.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform variety of technical laboratory tests and procedures according to medical laboratory standards to obtain patient specimen and ensure quality of the specimen and the outcome of the diagnoses and treatment.
- Conduct tests of body fluids, such as blood and urine, using microscope to detect abnormalities or diseases and enter findings into laboratory registers.
- Performing tests to look for microorganisms, parasites or bacteria in body fluids and blood
- Analyze the results of tests and experiments to ensure conformity to specifications, using special mechanical and electrical devices, e.g. hemocue machines and microscopes.
- Collect blood or tissue samples from patients while all the time observing principles of asepsis to obtain blood samples.
- Responsible for accurately completing records and reports of the laboratory master file or database.
- All services shall be provided in accordance with established standards, principles and ethics of the profession, applicable professional specialty organizations and high-quality standard.
- Maintaining the laboratory equipment and ensuring that the laboratory is stocked well with all the necessary instruments.
- Orders and stocks supplies as needed and maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Advice on relevant laboratory related issues when called upon to do so.
Qualification and Work Experience
· Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in laboratory science.
· Good laboratory knowledge and skills
· 2 years of experience in busy hospital
· Excellent command in English and Somali.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
· Computer literate
· IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
· Each application should be addressed to the HR account:firstname.lastname@example.org include the following:
· An updated CV; and · An application letter
· Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
· Copy of your National ID card or passport
· And contact information for three work-related referees.
· Females are highly encouraged to apply.
· Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as Lab Technician Bondhere or Dayniile MCH.