Project Title: Supporting Female Leadership in Iraq
Start date: March 10th, 2021 – April 10th 2021
Scope: A four-day training program for 20 female journalists in Iraq in topics of journalistic leadership, team management, and senior editorial skills
Media in Cooperation and Transition (MiCT) gGmbH is a German media development organisation that implements projects in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. MiCT’s activities focus on the interplay between conflict, media coverage and reconciliation in crisis regions. The organisation was established in 2004 with a head office based in Berlin.
MiCT’s services include the training of journalists and media producers, programme and content development, production of radio programmes, films and books, as well as media research and monitoring in conflict zones. An international team of 10 full-time staff members work at MiCT’s headquarters in Berlin. Through its projects, MiCT aims at fostering the transformation from conflict towards reconciliation and to encourage dialogue among conflicting factions within society. Our focal point is the interaction and interdependence of media and conflict. Supporting media cooperation, media networking and media development, as well as capacity building in the field of journalism, is presumed to be a key factor in conflict transition.
For the past 12 years MiCT has been conducting investigative reporting training and has produced investigative reports in cooperation with local journalists in Iraq, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Sudan & South Sudan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Maldives, as well as several countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The Programme aims at helping female voices to gain access to leadership and management positions within the media sector and promoting leadership skills and professional development of women across the media and civil society sectors.
The Programme pursues the following objectives:
- Building capacity for journalists and civil society organizations.
- Mainstreaming the experience of women in Iraq into national radio programming.
- Supporting female leadership in society through capacity building activities targeting female civil society leaders and journalists.
Deliverables (split between 2 trainers):
- Prepare training curriculum on leadership, team management and editorial skills for 20 journalists (10 days).
- Deliver an online group training for 20 female journalists in Iraq (4 full days).
- Coordinate and communicate with the other trainer to ensure training quality is comprehensive and aligned.
- Engage with participants and ensure interaction and support their development.
- At least two years of relevant work experience in facilitating senior training and workshops for journalists.
- At least seven years of experience in the journalism field particularly as a senior reporter or correspondent role.
- Demonstrated skills managing and leading a team, office, and working with publications and authors.
- Have experience in an executive position preferably within a well-known publication.
- Proven training, facilitation skills and leadership skills.
- University degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field.
- Fluency in Arabic and English, both written and spoken.
- Experience within international non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Experience and familiarity with Iraq as a country is an asset.
- Online training experience via Zoom or other similar online platforms.
How to apply
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter (3 pages maximum), submitted in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org
**Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. **