Organization:International Rescue Committee
The IRC has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgaduud regions), Mogadishu and Puntland regions implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance, protection and primary health reaching out to more than 250,000 conflict and drought affected Somalis.
The IRC Somalia currently seeks a Livelihoods assistant for its DEVCO Program, based in Dhusamareeb with travel within the program implementation areas in Mudug and Galkgaduud villages. The position reports to the Livelihoods Officer and will assist the community in all activities related to community priorities: need assessment, planning and implementation as well as monitoring and reporting of all activities.
Scope of Work
The Livelihood assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Livelihood officer and the overall guidance of the livelihoods officer. He / She will also work in close coordination with the rest of the livelihoods team and the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) program staff, in the implementation of the sector activities in Mudug and Galgaduud regions.
- Under the supevsion of the field officer ,underake the timely implmenation of all livelihoods related activities of IRC ‘s livelihoods programs.
- Assist the field officer in conducting field-based needs assessments and in the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the pastoral livelihood programs in Mudug.
- To assist in selecting communities/villages that IRC intends to work with the help of community elders and local authorities to ensure smooth running of IRC activities in terms of security, accessibility, collaboration and etc
- Provide timely reports of activity progress, monitoring visits and assessments as may be required from time to time.
- Actively participate in community mobilization including organizing community meetings; beneficiary selection, liaise directly with communities, elders and local authorities, as well as other agencies operational in Mudug and Galgaduud, regularly to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities.
- Draft Monthly, Quarterly and Annual project progress reports and submit to the field officer highlighting progress of activities ,challenges and recommendations on way forward
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Understand and adhere to IRC’s established policies and procedures for administration, finance, procurement, safety and security management, and project management.
- Adopt personal and professional conduct, which conveys IRC’s mission & mandate; liaise with all national and international counterparts and maintain regular contact with them.
- At least a Diploma in Community development, livestock related field or any other closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in community mobilization and training
- At least 1-2 years experience working with pastoral communities preferably in Somalia.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (fluency in both English and Somali required).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, EXCEL spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.
- Ability and willingness to work and travel throughout Somalia, particularly in Mudug.
- Computer skills data base knowledge essential
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with communities and stakeholders
- Proficient command of spoken and written English
Gender Equality:IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Full description of this position and application details can be viewed through our websitehttps://www.rescue.org/careers
Deadline for receiving applications:31st October 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position is open to Somali Nationals only.