Working with our Logistics team presents the opportunity to build upon our strong operational foundations, extend our geographic reach, and explore new ways to impact our well-established network of thousands of farm families.
Distribution is fundamental to the core model of One Acre Fund and the logistics team works specifically to enable this cutting edge, cost-efficient, and professional rural delivery system. The Logistics Global Projects Lead will be an integral part of the team that delivers millions of kilograms of goods each year directly to hundreds of thousands of farm families across East Africa. Your work will have a tremendous impact on the organization’s key mission of serving the small-holding farmer. Responsibilities will include:
- Leading projects of strategic importance to the department. This could include projects like:
- Optimizing how we manage our fleet or storage practices.
- As we increase market penetration in our core countries, we are stretching the locally available logistics infrastructure. It’s critical that we use warehousing and trucking optimally in order to support this “inward growth” at One Acre Fund.
- Designing and implementing a system for evaluating CapEx Investments like truck purchases or warehouse builds.
- As our logistics operation becomes increasingly sophisticated, it may begin to make sense to vertically integrate our operation and we need a solid method for evaluating and making this decision.
- Researching and developing tech solutions for managing inventory during distributions.
- We keep delivery costs extremely low by creating aggregating demand and then setting up mobile market points during our distribution window. Our field team is continuing to innovate on ways to add more clients and push more life-changing products through these distribution channels and we need to integrate more technology into our system to support these innovations.
- Developing scalable policies and procedures to enable our program model to succeed within our core countries and in new markets. This could include projects like:
- Improving and standardizing our inventory data management systems.
- Working with our government relations teams to develop a library of policies and best practices related to inventory disposal and repackaging.
- Developing and monitoring our standards for inventory shrink.
- Improving analytics and efficiency in our logistics operation. This could include:
- Presenting cross-country logistics efficiency KPIs measuring holding cost, transport cost, etc.
- Building out analytical tools to streamline decision-making around projections and inventory allocations.
- The Global Projects Lead will be responsible for both content development and rollout through in-country teams. Travel around East Africa may be required to implement projects and monitor adherence to policies.
- While the majority of this role will focus on global projects and rollout, the Global Projects Lead may also support country operations at peak activity time. This could include short-term secondment to a country team to:
- Support input distribution where we coordinate last-mile delivery to over 1,500 unique delivery points across our core countries.
- Building and managing a team of warehouse and logistics professionals. Average team size is about 10 full time employees and up to 100 seasonal employees.
- Researching a network of 3rd party service providers including transportation, warehousing, and input suppliers.
- Managing logistics data and inventory flows.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 3-5+ years of work experience. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encourage to apply:
- Strong work experiences with demonstrated leadership and management experience. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience (e.g. starting a program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business,).
- Experience in supply chain, logistics, or other operational management is required. Development sector experience is an asset but not required.
- Strong analytical skills – ability to quickly review, synthesize, analyze, and communicate data.
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills.
- Top-performing educational background (include GPA/class marks); related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Language: Fluent English required and a working knowledge of French desired.
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes; East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.
Please apply here: https://grnh.se/6b8d16c31