About UOSSM France
UOSSM France (Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations) is a member of a coalition of humanitarian, non-governmental and medical organizations from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Turkey. UOSSM is committed to provide quality healthcare and humanitarian relief to victims of crises, with a particular focus on the Syrian context. The Organization was founded and started its activities in response to the Syrian crisis in early 2012, enabled due to the commitment of medical doctors and members of the Syrian diaspora in Europe and North America. Today, it is one the largest medical NGOs active inside Syria. UOSSM provides humanitarian and medical assistance to all Syrian victims of war regardless of their religion, ethnicity, or political affiliation.
Position Summary: M&E Coordinator
UOSSM France is currently looking for a (technical) Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, responsible for the overall consolidation, harmonization and further (co-)development of its M&E activities with a special focus on its Health Programme in Syria. Besides Primary Healthcare, the Programme also generally includes Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), Nutrition and Community Health (NCH) and Protection services.
UOSSM France, in particular through its local establishment(s) and operations in Syria and the neighboring region, has profound access and experience in systematic – especially project-specific – data collection, analysis and monitoring of results. The Paris-based/-associated Coordinator position shall, together with different teams and departments, be responsible for supporting the development and harmonization UOSSM’s M&E systems at a project, as well as to some degree possibly as well at the overarching organizational level, in addition to (co-)developing and further strengthening and following up on longer-term oriented – including impact-level – evaluation approaches.
Furthermore, the M&E Coordinator, after adequate introduction and involvement in UOSSM’s work, shall be responsible for supporting capacity development and training activities on health-focused MEAL and/or other research competence and methods related topics, ensure adequate (and systematic) coordination and communication with different departments and teams as it relates to program development and implementation and promote the development, adaptation, testing and mainstreaming of good practice in needs assessments, project design, implementation, monitoring and (higher level results) evaluation, where feasible and relevant, together with other departments and teams.
In all of this, the M&E Coordinator will be working closely together with the Coordination team in Paris, UOSSM’s representation office(s) and, potentially, with the team(s) on the ground, which is why a strong command in Arabic and English language is essential, and French an asset. A strong analytical and research background, especially where related to public health/ health economics/ health in conflict settings or a related filed is desirable. Work or practical experience in the form of longer-term internships and/or key roles in (health-focused) research initiatives is a plus.
General Terms and Conditions of Employment
Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator
Location: Europe (required); Paris, France (preferable)
Contract type: 100% – full time (35 hours per week)
Duration: 1.5 years contract; starting as soon as possible
Salary: Between EUR 2,600 and EUR 3,100 monthly gross salary based on experience, qualification and, if relevant, location.
Travel: Business travel may be required from time to time, particularly to Gaziantep, Turkey and possibly other key locations in the region.
Roles and Responsibilities
The M&E Coordinator is responsible for:
- (Co-)developing, harmonizing, consolidating, where relevant revising and updating as well as, overall, following up on all monitoring and evaluation activities related to one of UOSSM’s major health programmes in Syria;
- Reviewing and, in close coordination with other teams and departments as relevant, supporting the harmonization and further development of UOSSM’s monitoring and evaluation system(s) / performance measurement framework(s) at an overarching organizational level;
- Consolidating and co-developing, in close coordination with other teams and departments involved in the programme, narrative reports to be submitted to the donor(s) on a quarterly basis;
- Setting and regularly updating targets as defined in the Programme’s Logical Framework
- Involve technical experts from different fields, where relevant and supported by the organization, with a view to improve the programme-specific measurement framework, as well as the harmonization of UOSSM’s M&E system(s) at large;
- Harmonizing UOSSM’s monitoring and evaluation system(s) at a project level in particular
- On all these accounts, closely support the Project Manager and follow up with all members of the team, including, where relevant, partner organisations’ and mission-based M&E functions as well as other functions as needed
- Gradually and in close cooperation with other departments and teams, develop areas and inputs for internal capacity as well as internal process and policy development endeavours for the organization
The M&E Coordinator moreover suppers the following other tasks:
- Attend/ where relevant, prepare and lead on, internal and other programme-related meetings, including, where relevant and feasible, with partners and donors, in close coordination with the Project Manager and/or Programmes and Partnerships Teams;
- Support the design of future projects from a monitoring and evaluation perspective, with a particular focus on reviewing and refining, where relevant and feasible, Logical and/or Performance Measurement Framework(s) as well as needs assessments;
- Support the development and, where feasible, conduction of start and end line assessments (including primary data collection) together with other departments and teams, particularly including those based inside Syria and/or the neighbouring region;
- In general, the work of UOSSM France in Paris is in many ways based on a high degree of team work and mutual support; helping and seeking for help by others where needed, even in areas outside of a person’s formal function if capacity permits, is both appreciated and may at times highly needed.**
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
I. Academic background
[Required] Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Economics or a related field;
[Required] Strong academic records, specifically demonstrating strong research methods and design competence**[Preferred] Specialization/ major or otherwise gained experience in (health in) fragile and conflict affected states (FCAS) [Preferred] Specialization/ major or otherwise gained experience in Middle Eastern studies
II. Professional/ Practical Experience
[Required] 2+ year of experience in working with NGOs and/or the humanitarian/development sector at large. Involvement in academic institutions and/r other research activities with this focus is especially valuable;[Preferred] 1+ year of experience in a health-focused monitoring and evaluation capacity in NGOs or a governmental agency; a focus on health in FCAS and/or the MENA region is a particular asset; [Preferred] Experience in working as part of institutionally-funded projects is an advantage
III. Skills and attitudes
- High capacity for teamwork and sensibility in dealing with individuals and teams across different countries and cultural dimensions;
- Hands-on mentality and willingness to actively engage, learn and exchange;
- Ability to work remotely
- Strong command of English and Arabic language; French is an asset;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong reporting and editing skills
IV. Other requirements and considerations
- UOSSM France is looking for somebody who is able and willing to join out team as soon as possible, preferably this month (November) still. If you are unable to join our team before the 15 December 2020, it is likely that we will not able to consider your application in the way it would possibly deserve to be considered;
- Travel is required from time to time for this position. If travelling to Turkey and/or other European countries in particular is not an option for you, please be aware that this poses additional difficulties for us in considering your application in a way it would possibly deserve to be considered.
What to expect from us
- A welcoming work environment based on sincere collaboration, involvement and mutual support
- Working in a highly dynamic, young and value-driven NGO dedicated to support the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities affected by one of the most severe crises of our times;
- Working with a very dedicated and diverse team in/ linked to Paris and the rest of the organization in Syria and the neighbouring region;
- Ownership and responsibility for own tasks
- Support and appreciation for coordinated own initiatives and engagement with a view to inspire further internal development and change
- Close support from colleagues across the organization
- Strong opportunities for on-the-job learning as well as formal professional development
- A competitive salary and adequate compensation for work-related expenses
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and a resume to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, for the attention of “Mr Secretary General” and the key word “Application: M&E Coordinator”.
Please only submit applications in English or Arabic language. Applications in French will not be considered.
We will accept applications from the 9 – 23 November 2020.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for (online) interviews on a first come first served basis shortly after submitting their application(s).
If you have any further questions about the position or UOSSM France, please do not hesitate to be in touch via the same email address enclosed above, using the key word “Question: M&E Coordinator”, or give us a call on: +33 (0)9 77 19 77 51.
Please consider that the office may not at all times be attended during COVID-related lockdowns in Paris. In case you do not reach us, please send us an email and we will call you back.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.
Best regards and all the best of luck
Your Team at UOSSM France in Paris