Terms of reference
Job Title: MEAL Expert
Duty station: Sana’a and Aden, 50-50% roving, with regular visits to other governorates: Hajja, Ibb, Taiz, Lahj, Hadramout
Starting date: 01/07/2019
Contract duration: 6 months – renewable
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: M&E Officers, Feedback & Complaint Officers
General context of the project
In Yemen, INTERSOS has been engaged since 2008, providing protection assistance to refugees and migrants (mostly but not exclusively from the Horn of Africa). Since 2015 INTERSOS scaled up its operations to ensure a robust response to the IDPs crisis and the needs of other conflict affected Yemenis, and also expanded its geographical scope (covering Aden, Taiz, Hajja, Ibb, Hadramout and Lahj). INTERSOS’ protection programming for IDPs and conflict affected Yemenis focused on provision of emergency protection services: protection monitoring, provision of legal assistance, general case management services for GBV/PwSN/CP, including provision of cash assistance, rental subsidies, material assistance, livelihoods and life skills trainings. Moreover, from 2015 onwards INTERSOS started to implement health programming (with integration of nutrition), based on a needs-analysis of the conflict- affected communities in Yemen: with the rapidly collapsing Yemeni health care system, it has been paramount to support partially and non-functional health facilities to prevent total collapse/meltdown of health care system. Such programme includes: immunization, ANC, PNC, BEmONC, IMCI, OPD screening for malnutrition, treatment of SAM cases, health education, deworming, vitamin A supplementation and referral services. Besides attention for EPHC, INTERSOS ensures also attention for Secondary Health care to ensure referral services, while supporting the WHO/MOPHP strategy to ensure the minimum service package (MSP).
Moreover INTERSOS has integrated livelihoods and WASH activities in its main programming.
General purpose of the position
The MEAL Expert will support in completing the setting up, implementation and supervision of the MEAL Unit in the INTERSOS Yemen Mission ensuring strong coordination with Program Unit and under the supervision of the HoM.
S/he will accomplish this through leading the development and implementation of a mission MEAL framework / strategy, focusing on mentoring and/or building capacities of relevant programme and M&E staff, as well as promoting and fostering a culture of shared learning and accountability, and promoting innovation within the programme. This includes the development and integration of accountability, learning and programme quality standards in programme assessments, design, monitoring, review and evaluation as well as consistent documentation of learning and progress in this area.
Once fully developed, the MEAL Expert will be expected to lead on MEAL system implementation including monitoring, accountability initiatives, support evaluations, compile lessons learnt, MEAL budgeting and recruitment.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Carry out an analysis of the M&E department in INTERSOS Yemen
- Steers the development of the MEAL strategy for the mission
- Develop MEAL SoPs and tools for the mission
- Suggest efficient and effective structure for the department
- Coordinates and validates ToR (including data collection tools, in coordination with Technical and Program Coordinators)
- Supports the development of multisectoral assessment tools
- Coordinates the implementation of assessments
- Coordinates and validates the drafting of report (second layer of validation by the HoM and Coordinators)
Monitoring of projects
- Provides the technical framework and tools of all monitoring activities
- Support HoM in enhancing the common monitoring framework for overall programme in place (Project Appraisal Tool system in particular)
- Support the implementation of a system to manage information generated by MEAL activities, such as beneficiaries’ databases
- Support and improve the current system for data collection and analysis
- Conduct data analysis and present and disseminate information to inform programme management
- Supports the management of external (donor) monitoring visits
- Coordinates and validates ToR (including data collection tools)
- Supports more proactively the development of multisectoral evaluations tools
- Coordinates the implementation of evaluations
- Coordinates and validates the drafting of reports. Where reports are being submitted to external stakeholders (donors or diffusion to partners) there will be a second layer of validation by the HoM
- Supervise and improve the implementation of accountability mechanisms at field level, e.g. complaint and feedback mechanisms for beneficiaries and staff
- In coordination with other department (in particular Protection), develop accountability SOPs for the mission
- Responsible for the smooth rolling out of the INTERSOS Feedback and Complaint mechanism
- Ensure the roll out of and training on accountability SOP for each project
- Support Program Unit to ensure that the overall program is including strategies and mechanism for promoting high level of community participation.
Capitalisation and knowledge management
- Coordinates and steers the development of ToR for capitalisation activities
- Facilitates capitalisation activities
- Steers and / or develop (based on circumstances) the capitalisation reports
- Manages the knowledge cycle (i.e. how the knowledge is transformed in better quality operations)
- Support in the recruitment and management of staff (induction, performance management and training)
- Identify learning and training opportunities for MEAL staff and work as a mentor for national staff.
- Support the design and supervision of training and awareness raising activities for operations and programme staff at field level regarding MEAL priorities and quality standards
Required profile and experience
- Hold a Master degree in social science or any related field (unless compensated with minimum 5 year of relevant work experience)
- At least 3 years of direct professional experience working as a technical expert in Monitoring and Evaluation in emergency contexts.
- Solid knowledge of different donors’ guidelines regarding monitoring and evaluation
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving displacement.
- Experience in data collection and analysis (creation and management of database at mission level and at project level, data analysis and management, drafting of reports combining quantitative and qualitative information).
- Demonstrated ability to carry out assessments and evaluations, to produce reports and present findings to donors’, Clusters, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Experience in working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with different stakeholders
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular excellent Excel knowledge is a must) and high-level expertise in working with smart tools (ODK and KOBO)
- Ability to provide capacity building to national staff – both coaching on the job and through structure training.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Readiness and ability to move around in Yemen
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Native Arabic would be an asset
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (proactive)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “SR-35-1038 – MEAL Expert – Yemen“. Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.**