The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of MEAL/IM Officer for DRC’s operations in its Madaba Base. The successful candidate will fulfill MEAL responsibilities including, but not limited to: Collection of needed qualitative and quantitative data to report to donor indicators and programme quality as well as analyzing the data and review monitoring tools.**
About the job
The individual will report directly to Base Manager-Madaba. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- In collaboration with the MEAL Specialist, contribute to the development of monitoring and evaluation plans (MEPs) and MEAL workplans for DRC projects in Madaba, ensuring that they are relevant and appropriate for the Madaba context;
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve MEAL systems and processes in Madaba.
- Support in designing quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation and needs assessment tools (focus group discussions, key informant interviews, household/individual surveys, post-distribution monitoring, participatory M&E activities, observational monitoring, etc.) and methodologies when needed.
- Coordinate with the MEAL technical unit to follow-up on testing and piloting M&E tools.
- Act as team leader of enumerators during any assessments or monitoring and evaluation activities in Madaba, taking responsibility for timely and quality data collection;
- Support and where appropriate lead training of MEAL tools for other project staff and/or temporary enumerators in Madaba;
- Perform data entry where needed.
- Regularly undertake field monitoring visits for data collection (household interviews, post-distribution monitoring, pre- and post- assessments, focus group discussions etc.) and any required visits as planned with the MEAL Technical Unit;
- Support other MEAL staff in other bases with data collection when needed;
- Identify and refer/report individuals with special needs, protection concerns, and any problems with DRC services to the protection referral staff;
- Support in cleaning and analysis of monitoring and evaluation and needs assessment data (quantitative and qualitative).
- Provide regular verbal and written feedback on field observations and monitoring findings to the MEAL Unit and relevant program staff;
- Provide support for MEAL technical unit in data visualization and report writing.
· Other tasks as assigned by the MEAL Unit& line manager.
Accountability and Learning Responsibilities
· Support the MEAL technical unit to implement regular learning events, including any logistical or technical support needed, and ensuring proper documentation and information sharing post-events.
- Contribute to the proactive dissemination and to the use of knowledge gained through MEAL activities among project teams and other relevant departments throughout life of the program.
- Support the accountability team in Amman in ensuring that beneficiaries and partners in his/her geographic area are aware of the proper channels and circumstances to report complaints and feedback. This includes conducting feedback and complaints mechanism (FCM) information sessions.
- Manage the complaints box in the community center/CfW sites if present and support in receiving and logging in person complaints
- Under the guidance of the Information Management Specialist, maintain and manage DRC’s online database (Gamma) for DRC’s activities in Madaba;
- Maintain and manage the GiZ online database for DRC’s beneficiaries of the Madaba Base Projects;
- Ensure data collected is well-organized and easily readable, usable, without duplications, and up-to-date
- Perform data quality checks, database cleaning and follow up with the responsible officers for corrections. As needed, support other bases (IM- officers) in database cleaning.
- Ensure proper organization and storage of hard copy forms and data in accordance with data protection guidlines.
- Proactively identify any problems and areas for improvement with the database and take appropriate action in discussion with line and technical manager;
- In line with DRC’s Information Management SoPs, keep all data protected and confidential.
- Provide regular database training and technical support for the program teams on IM and ensure that relevant field staff are aware of any changes and new additions to DRC’s information management system
- Check and validate Cash for work (CfW) workers payments as well as cash for work beneficiary eligibility.
- Generate monitoring reports and perform backup operations
- Support to coding of online tools and Kobo/ODK forms;
- Ensure that good communication is maintained with field and programme staff, so that beneficiary data accurately reflects activities on the ground;
Required / Desirable
· Bachelor Degree in Social Sciences, Data Science, Computer Programming, Information Technology, Statistics, Economics, or related field
· 2-3 years of relevant work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation systems in the humanitarian or development sector. Previous experience in Jordan is preferred.
· Knowledge/experience with MEAL specifically, information management and accountability.
· IT and analysis skills, particularly Microsoft Office suite (Excel), and use of Kobo on tablets.
· Excellent interpersonal/communication skills.
· Strong interview techniques.
· Excellent training skills.
· Understanding of how to ensure and address data quality.
· Self-motivated and organized with a demonstrated capacity to manage time.
· Capacity to solve problems with a positive outlook.
· Fluency in Arabic and English required
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Madaba
Start date: ASAP
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 6 Sep 2020
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis until vacancies are filled.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.**
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.