The Program Associate will be a member of the Track II Mediation Unit. The Track II Unit is dedicated to conducting dynamic, multi-level processes to restore trust between conflicting parties, uncover areas of common interest, and support official processes. Search programs complement official negotiations by dealing with issues on both the substantive and the human levels, and provide a venue for influential, non-official participants to discuss informally, advancing possible solutions collaboratively.
The Program Associate will be working closely with the Track II Program Manager to implement a project aimed at supporting local and national capacities for conflict transformation, and at strengthening the vertical integration of efforts of grassroots, Track II and high-level actors in 3 different African countries – Burundi, Niger, and Zimbabwe.
The Program Associate will support project management functions, administration, donor reporting, communications with project partners, and monitoring, providing input and feedback as needed. The position also includes the external representation of this project to donors and partners. The position holder will be based in Brussels with biannual travel to Africa.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Coordinates and supports the Project Manager and other team members on all issues related to project implementation.
- Contributes to ensuring effective planning and task coordination between consortium partners, subcontractors, and Search’s internal teams;
- Drafting terms of reference for project activities;
- Organizing the logistics and travel arrangements for the project;
- Attending all meetings with consortium partners and the donor, taking notes and ensuring proper follow-up on action items identified;
- Supporting the production of quality donor reporting, including through assembling input from consortium partners, English language drafting of sections, proofreading, and ensuring professional formatting;
- Monitoring the monthly and quarterly planning and work plans of project events/activities;
- Performing administrative and financial tasks, including supporting procurement processes, coordinating service providers, and managing disbursements to consortium partners and service providers;
- Assisting with monitoring and evaluation, as well as strategic planning relating to the project;
- Providing support in the compilation and management of data relating to the project;
- Occasional field visits to oversee project’s activities and give feedback to implementing local partners, facilitators and consultants.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, African studies, conflict resolution, international relations, or a related field;
- Minimum of two (2) years of work experience in related field;
Skills and Competencies
- Professional-level competency in French and English, both orally and in writing.
- Familiarity with West and Central Africa, and good understanding of peacebuilding and conflict transformation;
- Native-level written and spoken English and French, with superior writing skills;
- Demonstrated experience in program implementation;
- Demonstrated experience in financial management, ability to prepare budgets and experience with Microsoft Excel;
- In-depth understanding of logical frameworks as a tool to develop theory of change and intervention logic;
- Very good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations;
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas in a clear, concise style;
- Ability to work well under pressure with strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Ability to travel overseas;
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and willing to take on tasks small and large.
This position will close on March 25th, 2020.
How to apply
To apply, interested candidates should send the following itemsto our employment portal here:
- current resume
- cover letter