Organization:International Medical Corps
International Medical Corps is a lead US international humanitarian agency who responds to the population’s health and psychosocial needs in humanitarian settings, while also supporting the recovery of systems and services in transitional and development contexts. Currently, the health technical team provides leadership and advisory support both within HQ and direct to country program teams inclusive of: sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence, mental health & psychosocial support, water and sanitation and monitoring and evaluation. This is further enhanced by a nutrition and food security team who provide technical leadership and technical support to country programs. This position is responsible for provision of technical advisory support to the International Medical Corps health program portfolio in partnership with HQ and country program staff. The position would be part of the technical team which consists of over 25 full time staff based in US, UK offices or in global roving positions and will be line managed by the Deputy Director of the Technical Unit.
The Medical Coordinator prime responsibilities are to manage the day-to-day activities of the health program and the training of the health staff. The Medical Coordinator will provide medical expertise and guidance for the clinical staff, ensure regular and adequate drug supplies for all program sites, monitor and evaluate health program activities, and ensure the highest standards of care within the programming of the Health Department. The Medical Coordinator will also work closely with the Program Director and the Country Director to effectively harmonize and develop health programming across the different sub-sectors IMC is implementing; bringing in line the efforts in clinical care, outreach, and nutrition in order to have a more balanced and consolidated approach to health care.
The Medical Coordinator will also be responsible for developing staff capacity and strengths in the areas of health programming which are vital to the mission and at the core of the Agency’s expertise.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with the Program Director, senior management, and field teams to ensure the highest technical quality of services provided
- Work closely with the Program Director, senior management, and field teams to determine the operational needs of the health department for primary health care and secondary health care activities within the scope of the grants and budgets
- Ensure program deliverables are met according to the highest standard
- Work closely with the medical doctors and health teams to determine the training needs of the clinical staff
- Provide input for monthly field reports in order to provide donor reporting, analyze trends, and adjust the programs as needed
- Work with government health authorities and international agencies at the field level to ensure implementation of standardized health programming
- Work with Director of programs, field teams, partnering agencies and national health authorities for outbreak preparedness and contingency planning for camp and out-of-camp populations
- Work with field teams to ensure provision of basic lifesaving services in case of full evacuation of re-locatable staff due to insecurity
- Work with Director of programs, senior management, and field teams to plan for future program directions in terms of beneficiary needs, new sites, and/or new programs
- Work with the program team to draft concepts for future funding following the protocols and formats of each relevant donor
- Work with field teams and logistics to procure drugs in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply based on site consumption while adhering to national drug protocols and program budgets
- Analyze pharmacy reports to monitor drug consumption per site and adjust program as needed
- Regularly update country office on progression of programs as per protocol
- Maintain flexibility to take on added responsibility as and when needed
- Attend field health coordination meetings as well as other coordination meetings which are relevant to health department programs and communicate relevant information to the Director of programs and other health staff
- Ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
- Lead the production of reports at site and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
Human Resources Management
- Assist in the selection and training of qualified health staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Program Director and Finance Director
- Supervise the day-to-day health staff to ensure smooth and effective operations
- Ensure compliance to local labor laws including working hours
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
Training/ Capacity Building
- Determine training needs medical staff
- Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programs
- Maintain frequent communication with Director of programs and the Country Director to ensure program activities and objectives are communicated
- Work with Finance and Logistics staff to ensure the coordination of procurement and receipt of program supplies and that purchases are made within budgeted targets
- Attend coordination meetings which are relevant to country activities or as assigned
- Interface with national government and relevant agencies as necessary
Ensures application and compliance of security protocols and policies
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- Medical Doctor with Master degree in Public Health an advantage
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in managing Health programs (preferably developing country or low-resource setting with an NGO) , in primary and secondary health care (maternal and child health, reproductive health, communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases, community health) and emergency response
- Must have experience with various donors, including USAID/OFDA, UN Agencies, ECHO, PRM, DFID, etc. including proposal and report writing
- Fluency in French and English is essential
To apply, please follow the link belowhttp://careers.internationalmedicalcorps.org/careers.aspx?adata=EATXKVtD1kz3D92WpbI5981Cyrr2vWANNrOh…