Organization:International Organization for Migration
Call for Applications
Position Title :Migrant Response Centre (MRC) Programme Manager
Duty Station :Obock, Djibouti
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment :Special short-term ungraded, Si x months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :03 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, the incumbent will contribute to IOM Djibouti Migrant flows Monitoring and Assistance Operations, within the scope of the multi-regional response to Yemen’s crisis and IOM support to the Government of Djibouti efforts in addressing the challenges derived from the complex migratory flows going through the country and specifically through Obock.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the IOM Migrant Response Centre (MRC) premises in Obock (Djibouti), ensuring humanitarian, health, operational, privacy and security standards are upheld at all times.
- Supervise all MRC staff performance, improve their understanding of IOM work, migrant’s assistance and increase their capacity to respond to major migrants influxes.
- Coordinate the evacuation missions from Yemen with IOM Ethiopia, Yemen and the de-confliction office in Saudi Arabia, coordinate the Security Clearance for the movements, informing relevant Government partners and plan the on-ward transportation of migrants from Djibouti, in coordination with MRC Senior Operation Assistant.
- Ensure the provision of adequate reception, feeding and WASH services to the migrants hosted at the MRC at all times. Supervise and monitor a sustainable migrant registration system compatible with the requirements of IOM’s online data bases.
- In coordination with IOM Djibouti operations unit, liaise with relevant Government and Security officials, Migration and port Authorities, ONARS, Governor, donors, implementing partners and service providers on the day to day operations of the MRC. Represent IOM in Obock with UNHCR, DRC, WHO, WFP and FAO and other visiting delegations and officials. Ensure adequate IOM and donor visibility as required.
- Coordinate with the IOM offices in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Yemen and the regional office in Kenya, as well as with relevant Government, Immigration and Security officials on the IOM operations relative to the evacuation, transit and onward transportation of stranded migrants evacuated from Yemen to Obock port.
- In coordination with the IOM Djibouti and other relevant protection staff in the region, endeavour to improve data collection on complex and mixed migration flows.
- Pursue the improvement of health and protection programming in and around the MRC, including psycho-social support for vulnerable migrants (in coordination with Djibouti Migration Health Division Unit) and establishment of ambulance patrols for life-saving assistance to vulnerable migrants.
- Ensure and oversee financial and administrative management of the MRC in line with budgeted and allocated resources, IOM financial and administrative standards, and in close coordination with the relevant units in IOM Djibouti. Ensure that the MRC cash book and inventory of equipment are established and regularly updated; coordinate with IOM Djibouti procurement on all service and equipment provision, according to IOM bidding procedures; ensure maintenance and care of all office assets.
- Ensure that the MRC follows established instructions and guidelines on project monitoring and implementation methodologies; ensure abidance by IOM Djibouti established narrative and financial reporting obligations; suggest and develop further actions to enhance existing guidelines.
- Attend security meetings, ensure compliance with UNDSS established standards and report significant security issues and incidents to the local security assistant and the Chief of Mission.
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• At least one year of experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
• Experience in IDP/refugee protection or relevant human rights and legal experience;
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
• Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
• Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
Fluency in French is required. Working knowledge of Arabic and English is an advantage.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;
encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 October 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.09.2018 to 03.10.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/37 -Migrant Response Centre (MRC) Programme Manager (P)-Obock, Djibouti
Posting: Posting NC55658350 (55658350) Released