Organization:International Organization for Migration
Position Title :Migration Information and Analysis Officer
Duty Station :Erbil, Iraq
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment :Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :24 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager of the Migration Management Unit in Baghdad, and the direct supervision of the Analysis and Information Management Coordinator, the successful candidate will work within the framework of the ongoing Security Sector Reform, on technical cooperation, and on community-based initiatives to contribute to the promotion of democratic governance in this sector in Iraq. Specifically, s/he will work on tasks that focus on strengthening trust and cooperation between the police, civil society, and communities to enhance capacities in Migration Management. S/he will be responsible for contributing to the development of specific qualitative analytic outputs within the Analysis and Information Management section.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the field staff to develop security safety mapping for the areas of implementation.
- In close coordination with relevant staff, strengthen the overall monitoring and reporting process of the MMU activities and dynamics through the review and analysis of Community Policing Fora event reports and template, training reports, notes for file and other forms of qualitative data from MMU programming. Follow up with relevant staff for required details in order to complete thorough analyses.
- In close coordination with the Analysis and Information Management Section and relevant staff, analyze qualitative data from MMU programming and develop information products, such as reports, briefing papers, governorate overviews, and success stories for internal and external use, that demonstrate the impact of MMU programming and how it contributes to the objectives of the MMU unit.
- Within the Analysis and Information Management team, provide input into the design of tools and mechanisms aimed at gathering qualitative field data and improving the monitoring process of field activities.
- Coordinate implementing activities with other Mission Departments when required by the implementation of Multi-Sectoral Programmes and, in coordination with the MMU Analysis and Information Management Coordinator and the MMU Senior Programme Officer, support overall monitoring of the administrative, financial and logistical aspects of such programmes falling under the responsibility of the Migration Management Unit.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals and corresponding financial requirements within the relevant thematic areas; monitor and coordinate reporting obligations according to IOM and donor procedures and timetables.
- Establish and maintain liaison efforts with Regional Government in KRI ministries, local authorities, academics, the private sector, implementing partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders at the technical level to promote dialogue, information-sharing and cooperation among government and non-governmental actors.
- Liaise with other IOM units to enhance the profile of the Migration Management Unit through the development of information products.
- Support the development of communication activities by drafting inputs.
- Support the preparation of upcoming workshops, trainings and conferences and participate in field missions as required.
- Keep abreast of the developments in the Iraqi context in the relevant thematic areas regarding Security Sector Reform, migration, gender, governance and other emerging, relevant topics.
- Store all data in the shared folder and ensure that information is up to date and easily accessible.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Media Communications, International Relations, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Knowledge of qualitative data collection and analysis techniques
• Experience in project development, monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience in data collection, processing and management;
• Experience working with IOM and/or another UN agency is an advantage;
• Knowledge of MS Office Products and Internet Explorer;
• Experience in the area of Journalism is highly desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 11.09.2018 to 24.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/212 (P) – Migration Information and Analysis Officer (P2) – Erbil, Iraq (55644825) Released
Posting: Posting NC55644834 (55644834) Released