Organization: Japan Platform
Closing date: 05 Oct 2018
MONITORING AND EVALUATION SPECIALIST
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Organization Name:** Japan Platform
Position: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (WASH Expert)
Type of Contract: Service Agreement
Work Location: Tokyo, Japan is desirable. Other locations are negotiable.
Expected Travel: 10% – 30%
Reports directly to: Head of Monitoring and Evaluation Division
Works directly with: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Collaborates with: All colleagues
Japan Platform (JPF) is a network NGO based in Tokyo, Japan. Our mission is to provide funds to Japan-based NGOs who respond to Humanitarian Emergency Situations. We are also responsible for managing those funds and for offering support to member NGOs to implement qualified and accountable projects. JPF is currently conducting emergency humanitarian responses in Syria and Iraq (including Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey), Yemen, Afghanistan, South Sudan (including Uganda, Kenya and Ethiopia), occupied Palestinian territory (Gaza strip) and Bangladesh. For the purpose of ensuring quality and accountability of JPF funded projects,
JPF is looking for a Monitoring, and Evaluation Specialist, who is also a WASH expert. The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (M&E Specialist) will work closely with the Head of Monitoring and Evaluation Division, and the Program Development Manager to design and implement the monitoring and evaluation systems.
Monitoring and Evaluation is a key engagement in JPF’s program support activities for JPF funded projects. It is also one of the primary ways JPF intends to promote quality and accountability improvement among JPF-funded projects. Given the important role M&E plays in JPF’s mission of reaching 42 member NGOs as of August 2018, the M&E Specialist plays a critical role in tracking, documenting, and evaluating JPF’s contribution against JPF program goal. The M&E Specialist will collaborate closely with colleagues across the Program Development Division, and JPF more broadly in order to monitor, track, and document progress towards our mission and goals.
2. ESSENTIAL TASKS
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Division is responsible for analysing and evaluating the impact of humanitarian action demonstrated in the JPF program by member NGOs. The M&E Division´s job is to offer support in measuring the impact of JPF’s project outcomes. The main objective of the M&E Specialist is to improve program outcomes and learning. The M&E Specialist will contribute to this objective through the planning and implementation of M&E tools at designated stages within the project cycle, and through their central role in ensuring the quality implementation of sector learning and evaluation activities.
① M&E Management Systems for monitoring member NGOs projects
The M&E Specialist will be responsible for:
· Developing and implementing Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems for the M&E Division. This includes the Japanese Government and private funds portfolio, in order to track and measure progress towards our mission and goals. M&E management systems include but are not limited to:
o The monthly reports produced and sent by member NGOs
o Periodical Monitoring and Final Evaluation Reports conducted by JPF, and,
o External Evaluation Reports commissioned to external evaluators.
- Developing tools and processes for WASH-related projects based on JPF´s M&E systems. These include log frames, detailed implementation plans and work-plans when required.
- Provide feedback and comments as an initial assessment on WASH-related project proposals submitted by member NGOs. Feedback and comments will contribute to improve quality and accountability of JPF funded projects.
- Design a Monitoring and Evaluation plan to regularly confirm progress toward achieving expected objectives, outcomes, and outputs of WASH-related projects. As a result, the M&E Specialist is expected to focus on the delivery of monitoring tools to ensure compliance and effective implementation of programmes. Such tools will help to safeguard that plans and proposals produced by JPF member NGOs are adhered to at all times.
- Conduct several Monitoring and Evaluation Missions on WASH-related projects implemented by member NGOs. This includes desk review of various documents, field visits, data analysis, written reports and debriefing for all stakeholders. At each process the M&E Specialist consults with the Head of the M&E Division, as well as with member NGOs.
- Recommendations as a result of the mission should be presented as an actionable point. In order to do this, bottom up approach and mutual understanding (between member NGOs and JPF) are critical elements of the process for the M&E mission. Recommendations should be produced after reviewing, visiting and/or meeting with member NGOs. It is very important that they arise from consultation and analysis, and not perceived as a mandate.
- Assess final reports of each project produced by member NGOs as and when required.
② Provide technical Assistance for WASH-related projects
· The M&E Specialist is expected to provide technical advice and quality control of Emergency WASH interventions, and advise JPF member NGOs conducting WASH-related activities supported by JPF. Advice will be regarding activity progress and recommendations for course correction should be made if necessary.
· Build the capacity of JPF staff and member NGOs in WASH program implementation. This will be done through technical workshops, which can be conducted after the M&E Mission to address good practices and lessons learnt.
· Establish criteria and indicators to assess, monitor and evaluate on going WASH-related projects in consultation with JPF´s M&E division and member NGOs.
· Assess the programme implementation strategy adopted with critical review of successes and challenges.
· Monitor contextual and situational analysis, trends and events of the WASH sector across the globe using both internal and external sources. Make briefing sessions for JPF staff and member NGOs to share the analysis if necessary.
- Inter-agency coordination in WASH sector; attend (physical or Skype) and encourage field-level coordination in the NGO community;
- Seek opportunities for formal and informal cooperation;
- Develop a network of relationships with peers in the humanitarian community (UN, NGO, ICRC, appropriate governmental offices, etc.);
- Take notes during interview by JPF to international agencies such as INGOs, and UN;
- Take photos as requested in compliance with JPF´s Beneficiary Safe Guard Policy;
- Other works that JPF might request.
3. Knowledge or Work Experience
· Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in engineering, management, international development or other relevant field is required.
· 7-12 years experience in implementing WASH programs in developing countries is required.
· Knowledge of Core Humanitarian Standards, Sphere Standards and other trainings or tools in humanitarian response is required.
· 3–5 years experience of monitoring and evaluation for WASH-related activities is required, especially quantitative and qualitative impact assessment research.
· Experience in emergency settings is an advantage.
· Experience of M&E system design and maintenance is desirable.
· Experience or familiarity with behaviour change communication is desirable.
· Understanding of best practices for gender and protection mainstreaming in WASH programs is desirable. Gender and protection mainstreaming will be demonstrated in cooperation with M&E Specialist (Gender).
· Fluency in English (writing, speaking and reading) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
· Ability to communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles. Remote management experience is an asset.
· Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team.
· High standards of integrity, professionalism, personal discipline and impartiality.
· Strong analytical skills and an understanding of monitoring, evaluation and assessment tools to promote evidence-based learning.
· Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovatively, and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress.
· Demonstrated flexibility, excellent communication, planning and problem solving skills.
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV, current and expected salary, and three references to email@example.com