Position title:Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Program:Girls Education Challenge
Background: I Choose Life – Africa (ICL) is a leading youth focused Non-Governmental Organizations that has significantly contributed to the realization of socio-economic development and empowerment of individuals bringing about transformative change across communities in Kenya. The organization has over 16 years’ experience implementing evidence-based adolescents and youth programs in over 345 institutions of learning (Primary, Secondary and Higher learning institutions) across 25 Counties in Kenya. ICL aims at contributing towards improved life opportunities of adolescent and youth aged 10-24 using a holistic transformational model. ICL employs evidence to design and run innovative and high impact interventions to improve key indicators in health, education, economic empowerment and leadership and governance with regards to children, adolescents, and youth. To ensure maximum impact, ICL utilizes a multi-sectorial approach, Quadra Helix development approach (which brings together the Government, Private sector, Academia and Civil society) to foster innovative and sustainable transformation in communities. In this model ICL envisions better health and well-being, quality education and improved livelihoods for sustainable development. In her work, ICL is guided by Vision 2030 whose objectives it seeks to cascade to counties, sub counties, wards, organized groups, and households. In her sustainable and transformative service delivery, ICL invests in generation and documentation of evidence to influence policy and practice. The organization is guided by a vision of a “Healthy Africa, Empowered People!” and is on a mission to improve the life opportunities of youth aged 10-24 through strategic empowerment for sustainable development.
Vision: ‘Healthy Africa, Empowered People!’
Mission: To improve the life opportunities of youth aged 10-24 through strategic empowerment for sustainable development.
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Manager is responsible for leading the design and implementation of the program monitoring and evaluation framework and information system to track delivery against targets, outcomes and impacts. The MEL leads the analysis of data collected for assessment of progress and areas of improvement and overall data management. S/he guides reporting processes amongst technical staff and consolidate program reports, and promotes learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learned. S/he supports all the technical staff in MEL functions and manages any MEL related staff in the program. In addition, support counties in the actualization of their county strategic plans aligned to vision 2030.
Planning and Design
- Provide leadership for the development and implementation of Organizational M&E strategy and projects M&E Plans
- Design and monitoring and evaluation tools and forms for the project for the project
- Participate in project planning process including Project, Resource, Financial, Quality, Risk and Reporting plans
Data Management and knowledge management
- Oversee and ensure reliable and rigorous data collection which supports comprehensive performance and impact evaluation
- Develop data collection and aggregation tools and procedures
- Responsible for data collection, analysis and utilization within the project and across other
- projects based on the approved tools developed
- Facilitate learning and knowledge management within the project
- Develop and maintain an updated database of all completed interventions and periodically carry out meta-analysis of the project information for sharing with donors and project management team
- Lead the project in developing at least two case studies annually for publication
- Identify and document interventions and initiatives that can be replicated or scaled up capacity building and supervision
- Oversee external communication on M&E progress and results
- Ensure effective communication between M&E team, project staff, partner teams and home office
- Provide support for project managers, with input from field and HQ to develop M&E elements of donor proposals and reports, including provision of monitoring plans, project data, and reports on progress towards indicators
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a robust learning agenda that uses project data for both internal learning and adaptation and for strengthening the learning among partners, donors, county government and other stakeholders
- Working closely with colleagues from other regions, develop ICL’s International’s strategy for influencing and learning, aiming to strengthen integration of learning in our programmes and the organisation’s voice in relevant sector forums;
- Keep up-to-date with emerging and trending best practice in processes and tools for M&E, including evaluations of similar programmes;
- Take a lead role in extracting and consolidating evidence and learning from our evaluations, projects and programmes to identify best practice across the organization;
- Train relevant project staff on MEL tools, data collection and analysis and basic surveying and sampling techniques. Assist project staff to manage project data for regular monitoring of project progress
Evaluation and Reporting
- Lead the development of the evaluation design, tools, protocols and procedures for the project
- Spearhead and coordinate the development and timely submission of monthly reports for the donor, as well as other required reports by synthesizing the project activity reports from all other project’s activities
- Monitor the PMP for ICL projects (ICL and affiliates) and provide key information to management for planning/decision making
- In accordance with donor requirements, create or maintain procedures for capturing and publishing monthly, quarterly and annual project technical reports
- Draft M&E reports for the CEO in compliance to donor procedures and agreements in the awards
- Review and provide feedback to reports by projects
- Identify opportunities for operations research and undertake such studies during implementation
- Prepare M&E reports in compliance with donor procedures and agreements.
- Ensure data quality through conducting annual DQA/RDQA and reporting
Strategic plan implementation project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Participate in reviewing the goals and objectives as set out in the strategic plan
- Participate in innovative and standardized research
- Schedule tasks, deadlines and milestones for the organization, stakeholders and resources
- Execute M&E activities included in the annual Work Plan with particular focus on results and impacts as well as in lesson learning
- Manage M&E staff, interns and consultants
- Mentor and build the capacity of the affiliates M&E staff and provide supportive supervision
- Take part in resource mobilization through participation in proposal development with other program staff
- Design, implement and evaluate projects with an aspect of resource mobilization
Any other duties in line with the organization Mission and Vision
Desired Education, Training and Skills
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline such as Mathematics, Social Sciences, statistics, informatics, or a related field with knowledge/skills of Geographical Information Systems and information technology.
- Atleast 6-10 years of experience implementing monitoring and evaluating activities for complex programs in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical support, setting up and managing M&E systems that track performance as per the objectives of this activity (e.g. service integration and performance against each result area) and in the application of statistical methods and database management.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of quantitative and qualitative methods including questionnaire design, survey techniques, and participatory approaches
- Computer proficiency in word processing, database, spreadsheet and graphics presentations, including one or more of the following programs: STATA or SPSS, Excel, Lotus, Access
- Knowledge and experience with international Design, M&E Systems, and donor expectations of M&E
- Experience in project management, performance monitoring and evaluation for international development programs, including data collection and analysis. M&E experience in USG-funded projects preferred
- Experience in working with PEPFAR, EU, DfId, UN funded projects is desirable
- Excellent communication analytical and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability in collaborative/team work
- Strong IT and analytical skills
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail orientation
- Experience in training, community consultation and systems development
How to apply
If you meet the above qualifications, we encourage you to write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your CV and cover letter should reach us on or before Thursday 15th October, 2020. Kindly indicate your current/last and expected salary in your CV in pdf format with subject as ‘MONITORING, LEARNING & EVALUATION MANAGER’
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer