Organization: Save the Children
The mission of MEC is to support complementary systems strengthening of ethnic and monastic basic education within the wider rapidly changing education landscape of Myanmar.
In this context, the Education Director provides technical and managerial oversight, capacity building and support to the Education, Policy, Advocacy and Communications (EPAC) team and leadership in basic education, policy engagement, advocacy and communication; working with ethnic and monastic partners as well as the Government of Myanmar.
Overall, the Education Director ensures that the education approach and the specific interventions address MEC goals and objectives in line with agreed plans. S/he oversees EPAC interventions and ensures MEC’s engagement in the National Education Sector Plan (NESP) reform process. The Education Director is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and works in cross-cutting collaboration with the other 2 Directors responsible for Planning, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (PMEL) and Finance, Operations and Grants (FOG) and their teams, under the overall leadership of the MEC Director. S/he overseas Broad Based Capacity Development activities, including identification and design of technical assistance to partners. S/he also ensures that all EPAC inputs, reports and publications, including donor reports, are prepared to a high quality standard and submitted on time in line with agreed deadlines.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 12 year experience with strategic design and development of education programming in the sector of basic education in Asia.
- Strategic thinker and planner with experience in demand-driven education planning and implementation approaches.
- Proven experience with complex education programming, including policy engagement and advocacy in the context of fragile education systems and services in support of marginalized rural communities within developing economies.
- Excellent conceptual understanding of complex basic education processes and their application from central level to the school and community level.
- Proven know-how in effective monitoring and evaluation and report writing.
- Strong track record of motivating and developing teams including professional capacity.
- Strong ability to work in a participatory way, strong facilitation skills, and proven ability to effectively delegate responsibilities.
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan politically and strategically.
- In-depth understanding of national & international development issues related to basic education best practices programming particularly in the context of resource-challenged economies.
- Demonstrated skills in networking and advocacy and understanding of effective policy development and advocacy approaches to facilitate change in the basic education sector.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- A team player who encourages openness, collaboration and transparency.
- Results focused and ability to develop and drive innovative programmatic / operational solutions.
- Native written and spoken English.
- Commitment to and understanding of MEC’s aims, values and principles.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally when required.
- Proven know-how of basic education programming in support of minority ethnic communities in marginalized rural areas of the country, preferably within South-East Asia.
- Working knowledge of leading mother-tongue-based (MTB) and multi-lingual education (MLE) focused programming in ethnic basic education contexts.
- Know-how of overseeing and implementing basic education policy research, engagement and advocacy strategies with key NGO, CSO, Government stakeholders and policy-makers.
Contract Length: 2 years
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=cG5lcGFsLjQwNjAxLjM4MzBAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcm…