Organization:UN Children’s Fund
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Burundi Country Office Communication and Participation section is responsible for winning support for the cause of children through public advocacy and partnerships. It works closely with the mass media to place issues affecting children in the public domain, engages UNICEF followers through social media, and supports resource mobilization through advocacy, visibility, and donor missions to UNICEF-supported programmes. The section works with young people including child journalist and members of the National Children’s Forum in Burundi (FONEB) and public influencers to amplify their voice on important issues and ensures the integrity and visibility of the UNICEF.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Communication and Participation Chief and everyday supervision of the Communication Specialist, the Consultant will give technical support in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating communication activities to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, and enhancing the organization’s credibility and brand principally through social media.
The consultant will assist the Section Communication and Participation in:
- Communication strategy: production of communication products and materials in support to Burundi Country Office communication strategy, and in line with regional and global campaigns and priorities.
- Media relations: development of SSFA and PCA with media in support to special events and campaigns and organization of photo coverage, TV footage media events as appropriate.
- Monitoring and evaluation: monitoring and evaluation activities with documentation of results and reports.
- Partners and special events: continuous update of Burundi Country Office’s contact list of active advocacy and communication actors (individuals, groups, organizations, Government, UN, and bilateral counterparts).
- Youth media: maintenance of youth media programme aiming at empowering young people to report on issues that affect them in their communities (principally youth journalist program, U-report and the forum of children called FONEB).
- Digital communication: update of Country Officeâ€™s digital communication channels (including the UNICEF Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
Experiences: At least one year of relevant professional work experience in the area of communication, print and development of media content, or interactive digital media. Field work experience in working with youth media.
Language Requirements: Fluency in Kirundi and French is required. Knowledge of English is an asset
Previous experience in facilitating children participation is highly desired.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following linkhttp://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=516327