National Outreach Director, U.S. Federal Agency, Washington D.C.
Company Profile: MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
This is a potential 5 year, multi-million dollar project for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which is headquartered in Washington, D.C. (and has ten regional offices across the United States) to synchronize communications across a number of offices, drive community engagement, identify best practices and build public understanding of flood risk mitigation efforts.
**Please note: Only U.S. citizens are eligible for this position.
The National Outreach Director, located in the Washington, D.C. area will lead the development and execution of external communications and outreach efforts designed to proactively and innovatively engage stakeholders and multiple new partners; and increase understanding to drive action. S/he will design strategic communications initiatives, in consultation with the client, including leadership messaging, strategy development and stakeholder engagement. The ideal candidate will possess a combination of strong management, analytic, writing, management and leadership skills while bringing strong technical skills in public relations, behavior change communications, marketing and/or strategic communications. The National Outreach Director will coordinate extensive subcontracted work and engage with offices spread across the U.S. and in Washington, D.C. Note: This position is contingent upon award.
- Undertake technical work in risk communications and community engagement, across numerous digital and traditional platforms.
- Manage and coordinate the work of several communications subcontractors and regionally based personnel.
- Establish essential relationships and necessary linkages with state and local government/agencies and key stakeholders.
- Enhance the usability of communications products and messaging.
- Drive consistent and clear messaging using traditional and non-traditional communications approaches, including the development of new, innovative and scalable approaches
- Translate complex technical information into user-friendly and new formats.
- Produce high-quality documents, brochures, PPTs and other collateral materials as needed.
- Serve as a resource to regional communications officers to share best practices and create learning opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree required in public relations, marketing, communications or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in strategic communications.
- At least 5 years of management experience overseeing teams.
- Experience managing behavior change campaigns among U.S. audiences.
- At least 5 years of experience managing and coordinating subcontracted work.
- Advanced knowledge of local, state and federal government structures.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing communications strategies in a cost-effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to craft information messages in various formats including success stories, website content, social media content and more.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve communications outcomes.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with Reasonable Accommodations in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.