The Fund aims to promote the economic development and welfare of either the partner countries or, through working with the partner country, to address the problems of low-income and vulnerable populations.
- Support international development-relevant research
- Contribute to capacity building of early career researchers
- Establish new research links or significantly develop existing links, with the potential for longer term sustainability
- Proposalsmust fulfill the following criteria in order to be eligible forfundingunder this Programme:
- Each proposal must have one Principal Applicant from the UK and one Principal Applicant from the partner country
- Both Principal Applicants must be Leading Researchers or Established Researchers
- Prinicipal Applicants cannot assume role of workshop Mentors
- Principal Applicants must be permanent employees of one of the following (this means that Emeritus and Honorary Professors may not apply as lead):
- A not-for-profit highereducationinstitution unless specified.
- A UK higher education institution (all UK higher education institutions are eligible)
- A not-for-profit research organisation. A Catapult Centre (in the case of the UK Principal Applicant).
- Both of the Principal Applicants’ institutions (the ‘Lead Institutions’) must have the capacity to administer the grant where contracting requires
- Individual departments within a single institution can make multiple applications per call provided that the proposed activities are clearly different
- Principal Applicants may only submit one Researcher Links application per Researcher Links call.
- Principal Applicants that have received Researcher Linksgrantsin previous years can submit further applications for Researcher Links provided the proposed activities are clearly distinct from, or build on, any already funded through the Newton Fund. In all cases the additionality must be clearly articulated in the application.
- Organisations affiliated to higher education institutions in the UK or any other country and based in the partner country, (e.g. an overseas campus) may apply as the Lead Institution in the partner country provided that other eligible higher education institutions or research organisations are also involved as Associated Partners in-country.
- Organisations cannot apply as Lead Institutions in Links with their own affiliates in other countries.
- Not-for-profit higher education institutions or publicly-funded research organisations are eligible to apply as Lead Institutions. For-profit organisations and not-for-profit organisations can participate in but are usually not eligible to apply for Researcher Links grants.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://www.britishcouncil.org/education/science/current-opportunities/newton-fund-researcher-links-workshops