Juba, with some field travel
Safeguarding, Gender & Inclusion Coordinator
Anticipated Start Date
1st May 2021
NGO Forum – South Sudan
The South Sudan NGO Forum is a member organisation, supporting the operations of over 100 International NGOs and 400 National NGOs providing humanitarian, development and peacebuilding work in South Sudan. The NGO Forum Secretariat coordinates the work of one of the largest NGO Forums in the world, supported by INGO, NNGO and Joint steering committees. This includes coordination, information sharing, advocacy, policy/position paper production, government/donor/UN engagement and engagement on other vital issues regarding humanitarian relief, recovery and development.
Purpose of the Role
Humanitarian organisations and NGOs across the world have recognised the urgent need to strengthen safeguarding initiatives to prevent the risk of harm caused to vulnerable populations and ensure robust and meaningful response and accountability mechanisms. In addition,
The NGO Forum’s Safeguarding, Gender & Inclusion Adviser will lead the Forum’s work across two key workstreams – 1. supporting member NGOs and stakeholders across the humanitarian and development systems with strengthening of safeguarding mechanisms, and 2.enhancing gender, diversity and inclusion within NGOs and in their operations.
The Adviser will lead the development and roll-out of an interagency strategy and concreate action plan for strengthening PSEA and other safeguarding initiatives to minimise the risk of SEA occurring and to strengthen the response if it does. This work will be undertaken in close conjunction with the UN PSEA Focal Point and the inter-agency PSEA Task Force to ensure a coordinated approach.
The role will also lead the NGO Forum’s work to strengthen gender, diversity & inclusion across NGO operations, both internally within NGOs and in the delivery of NGO programmes. The role will work closely with the GenCap initiative
The Safeguarding, Gender & Inclusion Adviser will have responsibility for the following workstreams
- Safeguarding and PSEA Strategy
- Lead the development of a safeguarding strategy and concrete action plan to enhancing the prevention of and response to SEA and safeguarding risks in South Sudan.
- Roll-out a monitoring framework to monitor progress on safeguarding and PSEA initiatives across the country, in close coordination with the PSEA Task Force.
- Develop an assessment/analysis approach to strengthen the understanding of NGOs ability to prevent and respond to SEA and safeguarding issues, and identify inter-agency support required.
- Work closely with NGO Forum and PSEA Task Force focal points at sub-national/state levels to support a strengthening of inter-agency PSEA prevention and response mechanisms in the field.
- Safeguarding coordination and stakeholder engagement
- Act as the primary NGO Forum Secretariat focal point for the Inter-Agency PSEA Task Force, working closely with NGO country director focal points.
- Proactively build relationships with relevant stakeholders across the NGO and IASC systems to strengthen safeguarding initiatives.
- Gender & Inclusion strategy and technical lead
- Develop a gender, diversity & inclusion strategy for the NGO Forum, to strengthen the proactive consideration of gender, diversity & inclusion across NGO operations by organising training on gender integration, gender mainstreaming and inclusive programming.
- Lead the development of a concrete action plan and monitoring framework to support and measure the roll-out of the strategy in strengthening gender, diversity and inclusion.
- Support a review of the tools and guidance available for NGOs in strengthening gender and inclusion considerations, working closely with other stakeholders such as GenCap and the protection cluster.
- Undertake relevant research on gender and inclusion issues in South Sudan, directly or working with consultants.
- Develop briefing notes or policy papers as relevant.
- Gender & inclusion coordination and stakeholder engagement
- Work closely with relevant coordination mechanisms such as the inter cluster coordination group, needs analysis working group and HCT to ensure that gender and inclusion analysis is built into humanitarian and development processes in South Sudan and used to inform response.
- Proactively build relationship with relevant stakeholders such as the GenCap Adviser, UN Women, the Protection Cluster, NGO Gender, Diversity and Inclusion experts and other relevant stakeholders
- Internal collaboration
- Work closely with other NGO Forum advisers and staff to strengthening safeguarding, gender and inclusion workstreams, including the Capacity Building Adviser, Communications Adviser, Humanitarian Adviser
Required skills & experience
Essential skills & experience
- Graduate qualification in diversity, gender, protection, development studies or other related topic – OR – relevant equivalent field experience of at least 5 years.
- Demonstrable experience working with NGOs, UN agencies or relevant institutions in the fields of gender, diversity, social inclusion, PSEA and/or safeguarding.
- Demonstrable experience of the humanitarian sector and humanitarian principles.
- Significant experience of working with or alongside NGOs, including experience in insecure or post-conflict environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrable experience proactively building relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills required, including demonstrated ability in writing briefing papers and other information products.
- Strong IT skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to a multicultural contexts, a self-starter and able to lead teams.
Desirable skills & experience
- Postgraduate qualification in diversity, gender, protection or other related topic – OR – relevant equivalent field experience.
- Previous experience working in South Sudan or East African contexts or fragile conflict affected environments.
- Previous experience working for NGO Fora, clusters or other inter-agency coordination mechanisms.
How to apply
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net/jobs/international/vacancy/ngo-forum—safeguar… by closing date.
CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length. Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.