Terms of Reference: Nigeria Logistics Consultant
Location:Remote position, preferably Nigeria-based
Development Gateway (DG) and AidData are collaborating to develop a machine-learning model designed to predict the location of nonpermissive environments (NPEs) within Nigeria. These NPEs are characterized by conflict, political instability, and/or cataclysmic natural events that limit the ability of USAID and its partners to operate. The model aims to predict the NPE risk at subnational and sub-annual scales. Inputs to the model will include, but are not limited to, satellite imagery, news sentiment analysis and citizen-reported data.
Scope of work
This consultancy involves providing guidance on data inputs to the model and expert advice on key considerations related to security, subnational fragility, natural disasters, and other relevant factors. The consultant will provide feedback on the correlation between data inputs and on-the-ground NPE indicators, as well as seek other potential data inputs into the model. She or he will help to answer the questions: ‘Are there major problems with the data planned for inclusion? Are there additional factors to take into account?’ We are particularly interested in creative ideas for data sources that are non-traditional or have not typically been used in this context.
The ideal applicant will have recent experience and knowledge of logistical considerations in movement throughout Nigeria in the context of supply chain management, humanitarian response, infrastructure expertise, duty of care, medical services, trade, or other industries.
- Provide insight into the challenges and current reality of movement within the country
- Assess the quality and relevance of project datasets
- Cross-reference the accuracy of the model’s datasets with known logistics of in-country movement
- Source additional, non-traditional data inputs to the model
- Validation report on model inputs
- Additional datasets, as applicable
Management and Reporting
- Calls will be held weekly with the DG Program Coordinator to report on progress, discuss implementation challenges, and make course corrections as needed.
- All deliverables produced will remain property of DG and cannot be shared with a third party without DG’s permission.
The level of effort for the consultant is approximately 12 days of work from November 2018 through January 2019.
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development. We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We appreciate hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter email@example.com the subject line Logistics Consultant.