Organization: Solidarités International
Closing date: 28 Nov 2018
Desired start date: ASAP**
Duration of the mission: 1 year
**Location: Maiduguri with regular field visits in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba
ABOUT THE MISSION IN CAMEROON
Solidarites International opened the Nigeria mission over the summer 2016. Starting with a single project, this mission has quickly expanded and SI is now a major WASH and shelter actor in the Borno State.
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in the area and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood.
Programs currently running:
- Multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid over 3 years in consortium leaded by ALIMA – started in January 2018 in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA – Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO – in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
This mission is young but rather strong and has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the humanitarian needs in the area and to ensure a real humanitarian impact. The team is well staffed with very diverse profiles (former SI, former national staffs from several SI missions, various backgrounds and technicalities). Overall, the atmosphere is very good, people get along well and they love to play volleyball on Sundays.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 190
- The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
ABOUT THE JOB…
The Senior Multi-sectorial Project Manager will work on the multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid over 3 years in consortium with ALIMA. He/she will cover three different locations: Monguno, Ngala and Askira/Uba. He/she will be the line manager of one multi-sectorial Program Manager.
He/she will be dedicated to ensure all external coordination with authorities and partners. He/she will need to consolidate the strategy of the project and modality of intervention. He/she will ensure the project strategy is linked with other SI project and coordinate with MEAL/WASH Coordinator.
- The Senior Multi-sectorial Project Manager is in charge of ensuring that the objectives defined in the proposal are being met.
- He/she guarantees the quality of the implemented program and suggests adjustments or developments to insure its relevance if applicable
- He/she is in charge of representing SI in the Coordination Mechanism linked to the project and to coordinate with the other partners to ensure the relevancy of the project
- He/she is in charge of proper reporting and communication
The main challenges:
- Participation in the strategic orientation of SI in the country and support the identification of uncovered needs and provision of risk analyses.
- Support the harmonization of dedicated programmatic tools and guidelines across the team and the bases.
- To ensure strong external coordination with our consortium partner (ALIMA) and facilitate the coordination with the authorities (3R Commissioner and Technical Line ministries) and with Europaid technical team in Maiduguri.
- To ensure strong external coordination with other E.U implementing collaborates in particular when working within same LGA or same type of activities.
- To enhance collaboration with MEAL & WASH department and support strategic orientation for a smooth transitioning between emergency and post-crises context.
- Support and define the reorientation of the project when necessary using the flexibility clause
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Support the consolidation, definition or redefinition of operational strategy and modality of intervention through the form of comprehensive guideline and/or activity sheets
- Consolidate the approach and strategy for the targeting of new area of implementation and review the appropriateness of beneficiaries’ coverage per area and per activities.
- Follow-up SI coordination with line ministries and facilitate with ALIMA the coordination with the 3R
- Support the launch of a mid-review workshop with E.U operational team
- Redefine with ALIMA a forecasted Modification Request for the reorientation of some activities/location
In close collaboration with the MEAL department, support the development of operational monitoring tools to enable a comprehensive analysis of the result of the pilot phase for YEAR 1 and enable drawing recommendation and lesson learn for YEAR 2 & 3
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in related sectors of WASH or FSL
- At least 3 years’ field experience as an FSL or Wash project manager and/or Coordinator.
- Ability to develop a strong understanding of the context and to make the project adaptive to the context evolution
- Experience in tensed context in terms of security;
- Experience in semi-remote management
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required;
- Knowledge about cash based programs;
- Organizational and analytical skills;
- Strong HR participative management skills required with field experience in delivering training and capacity building;
- Strong knowledge and experience of project cycle management,
- Good knowledge and experience on evaluation and monitoring tools and good analytical skills
- Affinity with multi-sectorial and integrated approach
- Previous experience on early recovery and multi-sectorial project is an asset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities;
- Great work and stress management capacities;
The Senior Multi-sectorial Project Manager is based in Maiduguri. He/she is living in Maiduguri base, in a single bedroom and sharing bathroom and kitchen. The number of expatriates living in the base is quite high and various in terms of nationality: this is a treasure but also requires adaptability and open-minded.
The Senior Multi-sectorial Project Manager is based in Maiduguri and he/she travels every month to the project sites. He/she has to respect the security measures in place, like curfew time and visibility restrictions/rules, plus SI mission restrictions. The environment is highly volatile, so the manager has to adapt him/herself to sudden changes.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
According to experience, starting from 2420 euros gross per month (2200 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
+100€/year of humanitarian experience at the same position
+50€/year of experience at a humanitarian position which has helped to reach the current level
and a monthly Per Diem of 750 US.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link :
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/