About Human Appeal
Here at Human Appeal we have an exciting opportunity for an Operations and Programmes Manager/ Representative to be based at our Palestine office. This is a 12 month fixed term contract, with potential for permanent role depending on availability of funding. The salary is dependent on experience and expertise. You will be reporting to the Global WASH Advisor and Head of Mission, Palestine.
Human Appeal (HA) is a faith-based charity that aims to abolish poverty by providing humanitarian aid, sustainable development programs and championing advocacy for our beneficiaries worldwide. Human Appeal has 7 International Field Offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East (Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan, Palestine, Somalia, Turkey, and Yemen).
Main Job Purpose
Represent HA and explore funding opportunities in the West bank and play a main role by leading the the process of establishing the West Bank office and provide an overall management of the office in accordance with HA strategies. Responsibilities will include engaging with the local authorities and policy-makers at the national level, coordinating HA project activities and overseeing West Bank staff and to ensure adherence to all HA policies and procedures, performance requirements, and donor regulations. He/she will be also required to establish a network with all stakeholders to explore potential resources and programme opportunities.
Manage Partners and Oversee office’s daily operations functioning, the coordination and administration of all aspects of related to operations and ongoing programmes activities, including planning, organising, staff leading and controlling programmes activities for the successful delivery of the whole proposed change, co-ordination of the programmes, projects and management of their inter-dependencies.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Represent Human Appeal in the West bank to the local authorities and donors
• Coordinates with local authorities and ensure all required licenses and documents are fulfilled
• Active networking to enhance reputation of HA Palestine
• Establishing and building an office for Human Appeal in the Westbank
• Develop and carry out strategies that result in strong representation with Government authorities at various levels, donors including UN and other international organizations; international and local NGOs, and networks
• Ensure that Human Appeal remains a partner of choice for major international donors.
• Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities and planned funding.
• Establish and maintain systems for programmes operations in accordance with HA policies and procedures to lead the implementation of the International programmes strategy in line with Human Appeal’s vision, mission and core values.
• Represent and safeguard the image, reputation and interests of HA at office, field and community perspective.
• Attend Cluster meetings and other important forums via engagement with UN, NGOs, CBOs and government line ministries on developing and ensuring adherence to minimum humanitarian standards in the implementation of projects;
• Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the programmes.
• Contribute to and lead programmes development efforts by identifying opportunities and working with programmes team to draft proposals to respond to those opportunities, as well as the delivery of programmes, ensuring programme effectiveness through Head office, Sub-offices and partner teams.
• Plan, Design and implement staff capacity development and relevant trainings to provide guidance to programmes staff on all issues related to programmes implementation.
• Implement Day-to-day and on the ground management of the emergency project team.
• Coordinate activities to ensure effective use of time and HA resources.
• The ability to build the capacity of existing local partners and offer support to organisations to submit timely and good quality reports.
• Able to identify capacity development opportunities to local partners and staff
• Recruit Projects Staff in coordination with Human Resources Team.
• Ensure a regular flow of information is available to the funding departments and to donors and official funders as required by the various funding mechanisms.
• Compile and develop proposals and concept papers for granting/funding organisations and institutions
• Identify and build relationships with potential donors
• Identify and mapping of various potential partners in different sectors such as WASH, health, education, and protection,…etc
• Report the progress of the programme(s) at regular intervals through Concept Notes, Proposals, Project interim and completion reports, and project related presentations to the Head of Mission to monitor programme implementation process.
• Support program staff to generate high quality donor reports and ensure their submission in a timely manner.
• Oversee the preparation and submission of technical and programmes reports as per the grants agreement.
• Conducting regular field visits to ensure effective implementation of projects activities.
• Develop an annual program budget and operating plan to support the programmes, coordination closely with all other key departments including Finance, HR, logistic for development and execution of Core Competencies (Food Security & Livelihoods, Health, WASH) strategies.
• Ensure there is allocation of common resources and skills within the programme individual projects to maintain the dependencies and the interfaces between projects
• Provide cohesive humanitarian planning for office, ensuring that priorities and opportunities identified are in line with strategic plan and goals.
• Prepare the Employment Plan, Yearly – quarterly to programmes department according to grants.
• Facilitate the appointment of individuals to project teams by taking part in interview and recruitment of staffs’ especially when they are under programmes department.
• Accomplish human resource objectives by developing job descriptions, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions
• Manage third party contributions to the programmes.
• Ensure implementation of the agreed-upon funding proposal and revise the proposal and budget over time, if required, based on input and feedback from key stakeholders
• Financial oversight of the projects under his/her supervision. Responsible for ensuring financial management controls are effectively practiced through all programme levels to ensure value for money of budgets.
• Manage grant by identifying funding opportunities, developing competitive, responsive proposals that meet internal standards, and dealing with donors’ complaints to build, monitor and manage the quality of the open contracting grant portfolio.
• Maintain effective communication and relation with donors and other stakeholders in consultation with the country director to explore current and potential funding opportunities.
• Manage all projects funds according to established accounting policies and procedures as per HA regulations and donor compliance.
• In collaboration with the head of mission and Finance Manager maintain of all programmes financial activities and monitor the budget for each program to ensure effective management of agency and donor property.
• Monitor budgeted vs actual expenditure (BvA) as provided by Finance whilst mitigating any budget variances
• Mitigate and reduce financial risks to the operational delivery of regional Office’s objectives.
• Under the supervision and approval from the HoM, to lead and coordinate the planning and implementation of all office activities on the national level, and Review monthly Operations’ reports and provide feedback to all operations staff, and other key staff as needed to monitor performances of operation department.
• Work with the programmes team and other departments to understand and define roles and Conduct operational workshops regularly/depending on the program needs to ensure unison with the Operations (support services) team.
• Ensure that Human Appeal operation departments follow internal policies procedures and ensure their compliance with understanding and implement donor requirements, policies and procedures according to grant agreements related to all the support functions, Lead on the development of the missing policies and standard operating procedures for all the support functions.
• Proactively develop the skills of the staff to understand and utilize appropriate tools and services to design and implement quality programming.
• Develop security strategies within the Acceptance, Protection and Deterrence frameworks, country security plan, evacuation plan, and provide staff training relating to security issues and evacuation, and Adhere to stated policies and procedures as per the company handbook, health and safety requirements Investor in People standard and Quality management system to keep work place safe.
• Organise Staff security training, and ensure that operations are done in line with the security policy and without endangering any of HA staff, HA beneficiaries or donors due to or during the implementation of the programmatic activities.
• Develop Travel, depending on the security situation, to provide technical support to field offices and sub-offices.
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Ensure effective and continuous monitoring of the appropriateness, effectiveness, impact and direction programmes implemented by HA
• In coordination and collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Department, develop a programmes evaluation system to assess the strengths of each program and to identify and implement action plans regarding areas for improvement to ensure MEAL processes and framework are in place.
• Identify and evaluate the risks and possible threats associated with Programmes activities and take appropriate action to control the risks.
• In cooperation with programmes staff, oversee the implementation of a monitoring and evaluation plan for all the projects, in line with the donor guidelines, and ensure that activity, impact and output data is captured in an accurate and efficient manner, and that programs are continually tailored to optimize quality and impact levels.
• Follow up Monitoring and Evaluation reports, recommend and implement changes to enhance the programmes, as appropriate
Ensure full accountability to both donors and beneficiaries and be responsible for continuously improving transparency and value for money and programmatic impact.
Experience and Technical Competencies
• University degree in related field, international development, business management, engineering and any related field. Master’s degree would be an asset.
• Minimum of 5 years, successful project management and implementation experience in the humanitarian and developmental field.
• MS Office Suite
• High proficiency and Fluent in English, Arabic is an asset
Note: The successful candidate should pass the Due Diligence requirements of Human Appeal.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Programmes Coordinator/Representative to take the step in their career by joining our rapidly expanding global organisation.
How to apply
We are looking for immediate hires so for the best chance of success please apply today as we will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis. To apply for this position, please follow the link below:
Please be ensure to upload your CV and Cover Letter outlining how your experience, skills, qualification and professional background fit with the position requirements in your application.