Organization:Norwegian People’s Aid
Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking an Operations Manager for humanitarian clearance operations in Colombia
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from exposive weapons?
NPA has been involved in demining operations in Colombia since 2015, and currently have operations in the departments of Antioquia and Meta. The programme’s head office is located in the capital Bogota.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Lead the operational team to ensure high quality survey and land release, and develop and expand the mine action operations in Colombia.
- Manage, supervise and coordinate all operational staff and support staff, including but not limited to the operations room, information management, impact assessment, survey, clearance and arms management and destruction
- Planning, execution and quality management of the survey and clearance operations (non-technical survey, technical survey and clearance operations with manual, mechanical and/ or animal detection).
- Conduct operations in accordance with overall plans, Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) and/or NMAS.
- Ensure operational accreditation (in accordance with national standard).
To be succesful in this role you must have:
- Relevant education or equivalent qualifications (result focused mine action NGO, commercial EOD work or military qualifications)
- Min. 5 years of experience from mine action field operations and/or complex mine action programmes
- Proven ability to develop and manage survey and clearance operations, including motivating and leading a team
- Track record of establishing and maintaining effective professional relations with relevant stakeholders, in particular national and international clearance operators
- Experience in operational planning and proven analytical skills
- Cultural understanding and good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt to harsh environment and work calmly under pressure and with limited supervision
- Good command of English
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Spanish language skills
- Experience from the region
- Experience from running programmes in a challenging scurity evnironment
- GIS skills
You will be expected to travel and work extensively in the field and a drivers licence is a requirement.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday *plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasisethe importance of strong health. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that screening may take place continuously.
For more information about NPA, please see our website athttps://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmamentor visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Contact personArshad Mubarak Ali +47 994 59 email@example.com
Hans Risser +firstname.lastname@example.org