Organization:Catholic Agency for Overseas Development
Terms of Reference for PEOPLE ProjectConsultancy:Volunteer Management training and partner support
Type of contract:Consultancy
Duration:20 days over 6 months
Location:Remotely and in Lomé, Togo
Dates:Oct 2018 – Mar 2019, with 3 day workshop in November 2018
CAFOD and Caritas Africa, funded by the EU Aid Volunteers initiative, is implementing a capacity strengthening project with nine partner organisations in Africa. The main purpose of the PEOPLE (Preparing for emergencies by strengthening organisational procedures, learning and exchange) programme is to strengthen the capacity of participating organisations in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and Zimbabwe to prepare for and respond to humanitarian crises and strengthen their volunteer networks and volunteer management systems. The programme will support partners to initiate the process of becoming certified EU Aid Volunteers host organisations contributing to enhance European solidarity at an international level.
This programme strives to make a difference to people affected by crises through enabling organisations to improve the quality and effectiveness of their humanitarian preparedness and response capacity. The programme will build partner capacity to develop and manage effective volunteer management systems and emergency preparedness by engaging community, office and (where relevant) international volunteers.
The PEOPLE project runs from April 2018 to March 2020.This is the second in-person PEOPLE workshop, bringing together focal points from the participating organisations. By this time, most organisations will have developed plans for strengthening their humanitarian and volunteer management capacity including ideas of the improvements that they want to make to their organisational policies, procedures and practices.
We are looking for a consultant to work with CAFOD and Caritas Africa to develop and deliver a Training of Trainers on volunteer management for PEOPLE organisations in November 2018 with a focus on the role of volunteers in emergency preparedness and response. We also require the consultant to provide some remote follow-up coaching support to partners as they cascade the training and start to make improvements in their volunteer management practices.
II. Purpose of the consultancy
Beneficiaries of theAssignment
The target audience will be approximately 15 workshop participants who are PEOPLE project focal points in the 10 participating organisations in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and Zimbabwe, and the regional secretariat in Lomé. These are staff who have a role in emergency response and volunteer management, and who have a responsibility to cascade this training within their organisations, and to coordinate the implementation of the capacity strengthening and volunteer management improvement plans.
- Knowledge transfer – participants develop a clear understanding of good practice in volunteer management through in-person training
- Training of trainers – participants are provided with Volunteer management training materials and guidance on delivering this in their organisations
- Mentoring support – participants are provided with follow-up support to put their learning into practice
III. Scope of workand provisional timeframe
- Prepare a training outline for the ToT to be discussed and agreed with the project team by the end ofOctober 2018. The outline should cover the following aspects:
- Introduction to EU Volunteers requirements
- Organizational and strategic considerations for volunteer management organizations
- Identification, selection and induction preparation of volunteers
- Deployment and management of volunteers (including supervision, support, coaching, mentoring, training and debriefing)
- Provision of duty of care and appropriate safety and security
- Volunteering in emergencies – special considerations
- Provide training materials to be used during the TOT
- Facilitate a 3 day workshop for PEOPLE focal points in Lomé, Togo with approximately 15 participantsinNovember 2018.
Training of trainers:
- Design facilitation/training guide and resources in a form that participants can re-use for their in country trainings.
- Provide guidance on delivering training during the workshop.
- Consultant provides feedback and guidance on participant training plans – 1 hour per organisationby January 2019.
- The consultant provides guidance to participants on developing volunteer management policies and practices.
- This will take the form of mentoring sessions via skype and/or feedback on draft policies or plans – 2 hours per organisationby March 2019.
- This may also involve webinars or action learning sessions with partners and CAFOD or Caritas Africa staff to reinforce issues covered in the ToTs or support them on common challenges.
Based on this scope of work, the proposed number of work says is outlined below.
Desk review of PEOPLE documents and discussion with project team – 2 days
Development of training package and facilitation guides – 5 days
Training workshop – 3 days
Follow up support – 10 days
Total– 20 days
IV. Consultancy Outputs
- Volunteer Management Training Package with Facilitator Guide
- Delivery of 3 day Volunteer Management Training of Trainers
- Training Report
- Written feedback or meeting notes providing guidance on 10 training plans
- Written feedback or meeting notes providing guidance on 10 organisations’ volunteer management policies or improvement plans
- V. Profile of the Facilitator –Requirements:**
- Experience of supporting organisations to strengthen volunteer management practices
- Fluent English
- Strong training materials development and facilitation skills
- Experience of working in a humanitarian context
- At least five years of proven experience in capacity development, civil society, volunteer management or a related field
- Extensive background knowledge about organisational capacity strengthening, volunteering, civil society and other human development related areas is highly desirable
- Previous experience with volunteer management in Africa is an advantage
Applications should include:
- An expression of interest of up to 3 pages, including proposals for the content and methods for the training and remote support and a consultancy costs budget.
- A CV with two references.
- Examples of past work may be requested from shortlisted candidates.
Applications for the consultancy should be submittedby e-mail to Janet Crossley at:firstname.lastname@example.org in the subject line: PEOPLE Project Volunteer Management Consultancy
The deadline for applications is:Thursday 4 October 2018
Interviews with shortlisted candidates will be held by phone/skype during theweek beginning 8thOctober 2018.