ASCEND is a £200 million investment from the UK government’s Department for International Development (DFID), to advance the impact and sustainability of national programmes tackling neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). To be implemented between September 2019 to March 2022, ASCEND comprises of two lots – one focusing on South Asia, East and Southern Africa (Lot 1) and the other on West and Central Africa (Lot 2). ASCEND Lot 1 is implemented by a consortium of technical partners led by Crown Agents, including Abt Associates, Oriole Global Health and the Royal Tropical Institute. Central to ASCEND 1’s approach is a close collaboration with governments and other implementing partners (IPs) to enhance national approaches to NTD control and elimination. ASCEND’s goal is to contribute to the global goal of reducing the burden of targeted NTDs so that they are no longer a public health problem.
In Sudan, ASCEND will focus on five NTDs – Trachoma, Onchocerciasis, Schistosomiasis, Lymphatic Filariasis and Visceral Leishmaniasis – through supporting the Ministry of Health (MoH) directly to efficiently integrate NTDs services and programmes; including various interventions such as Mass Drug Administration (MDA) and other disease-specific areas of diagnosis and treatment, enhancing cross-sectoral collaboration with WASH, Health Promotion and relevant sectors, as well as furnish grounds for strengthening the health system as an overall through pronounced activities that firm the anchor of each building block, as major contributors to the program’s sustainability and anticipated outcomes.
Scope of Work
The Policy and Strategy Officer will be Work with country lead to help NTD Department in the MoH to develop the needed guidelines, protocols and SOPs He/She will be responsible for the development of policies and protocols as outlined in the ASCEND strategy/country work plan and for building the capacity of the MOH staff and partners in all aspects of policy and strategies.
The Policy and Strategy Officer will be responsible for the following:
Ensure the involvement of multiple stakeholders and help coordinate meetings with partners.
· Establish a mechanism for mobilizing, coordination and communication to help develop an NTD/WASH strategy.
· To support the development of an evidence-based NTDs advocacy and communication strategy that will increase national investment in NTDs programmes.
· Support consultations and provide guidance to help develop management NTDs guidelines.
· Coordinate timely compilation of Joint Request for Selected Preventive Chemotherapy submission and alignment of NTD needs forecasting with national quantification exercises.
· Coordinate the development of NTD supply chain management guidelines and tools.
· Support the implementation of NTD advocacy and communication strategy providing inputs and course-correcting
· Work with the MOH to integrate findings from the national surveys into the development/Master plan of NTDs, respective annual work plans and the entire planning processes.
· Ensure dissemination of findings from national surveys at various levels including national government and use of the findings in policy formulation, planning process and programme implementation
· Support the review and revision of MDA guidelines and data availability assessments.
· Write briefings, reports, speeches, and deliver oral briefings and presentations to a wider audience – ASCEND project staff, MOH and other stakeholders.
· Carry out consultations with stakeholders to help develop NTDs-related SOPs.
· Any other tasks requested by the line manager
Knowledge (Education & Related Experience):
· Bachelor’s Degree of Medical Sciences and at least a Master’s degree in Public Health or related Social Science equivalent (e.g. Public Policy, Development Studies or Statistics).
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the health sector working with the government of Sudan, donors or other international development agencies.
· Minimum of 5 years’ working experience in NTD diseases is essential.
· Experience in design and programming of NTDs; including the development of protocols, guidelines, ToR, surveys and MDAs.
· Proven ability to analyze, use and convey complex information to support improved programme delivery and policy development.
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
· Demonstrated ability to build influential networks and relationships with key stakeholders
. Demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality results and impact within specified timelines
· Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of a global team.
· Proven ability to deliver group-training sessions and build capacity in developing country contexts.
· People management skills with a robust diplomatic understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
· Strong communication skills as proven by past work experience.
· Willingness to travel and to conduct regular field visits, in-and-out of country.
· English and Arabic fluency (required) – written and spoken.
·Bachelor’s Degree Certificate, Registered Certificate from the Sudan Medical Council, National Service certificate, Valid Passport or National ID and a copy from prior experience certificates.
How to apply
Interested candidate should send their CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24th April 2020