Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 20 Jan 2019
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Background/Purpose of Assignment
Under the supervision of the C4D/Polio State Lead and the technical guidance of the Data Specialist in C4D/Polio section, Abuja, the Data Officer will contribute to and play a key role in the identification, collection, and analysis of data in the Polio Eradication Programme in Nigeria. In the assigned state/s the Data Consultant will be the primary focal point for all polio data-related activities and tasks. Data Officer will be also responsible for the quality assurance process and secure storage and access to the UNICEF data systems.
Data Officer will work based on the SOP/Guidance of Polio Data Management system and implement activities based on instruction received from Supervisor, and according to the guidance and the data Catalog defined in the SOP. Data Officer will analyse and review the information shared by the LGA Facilitators and VWS in the assigned state(s) to ensure high quality of the data collection process, and report on anomalies to Supervisor for remedy.
Data Officers who are covering more than one state will divide their work time appropriately, based on discussion and agreement with Supervisor, and State Lead of the other state to ensure proper implementation between the location where they are based, and the additional state(s) for which they are responsible. This should include regular visits to states under Data Officer responsibility, based on agreement with Supervisor and, where applicable, State Lead of other state.
Major Tasks to be accomplished:
The main responsibilities of the Officer will include, but not limited to, the following:
- Interact with the State Emergency Operation Center (EOC) and State Communication Working Group, and State Data Working Group where available, WHO and other relevant partner Data officers, STOP Teams, SIA Team, other Partners, and UNICEF Social Mobilization consultants/personnel for collection and quality analysis of polio, routine immunization, and other requested data as assigned.
- Provide technical support to ensure full functionality, adherence, and utilization of online VCM payment system and process monthly payment in the system together with the State Lead.
- Work closely with the state VCM Coordinator for effective monitoring of state team performance and generating accountability reports.
- Implement data quality assurance activities, conduct desk reviews and data quality checks, perform analysis of implementation progress across UNICEF on the data collected through the VCM network operations and present relevant feedback, linked to actions, at the routine/periodical internal meetings at the state level.
- Support design decision-making tools, such as infographics and reports, for relevant management teams and to supplement Abuja Data team contributions to donor reports, as requested.
- Ensure the required data sets are shared through the State Lead with Abuja team as per the agreed deadlines to facilitate national consolidation of various reports.
- Support availability and accurate use of the data- recording/reporting tools at all levels
- Identify and recommend data-related capacity-building and re-orientation needs on newly introduced and/or existing data-related tools; support development of content for the same; and facilitate orientation/briefing of the relevant personnel to bridge up the identified gaps at their respective states as decided by State Lead.
- Support National team in planning and implementation of surveys/ research activities and provide information, data and specific analyses/reports as requested.
- Support availability and use of the ODK and SQL platforms in C4D/Polio
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required:
- Completion of a University degree (Bachelor or above) or relevant courses in Data or Information Management or other relevant technical area.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience at national and/or international levels in the relevant field of Data Management, data collection and analysis.
- Experience in working with Open Data Kit (ODK) design of ODK forms and field collection of health-related data.
- Experience working with SQL including creation of data-linkages across different information platforms.
- Working experience in the area quantitative and qualitative research and proven ability to conduct data analysis.
- Working experience in UN or other international development organization would be an asset.
- Background/familiarity in emergency response setting would be an asset.
- Proven ability to use data management software specifically advanced Excel and GIS software skills.
- Knowledge of Python would be an asset.
The consultancy duration is 11.5 months
All applicants should quote an all inclusive fee in their cover letters
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=518991