Organization: International Organization for Migration
Position Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer
Duty Station : Beira, Mozambique
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 April 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cook Islands; Cuba; Cabo Verde; Djibouti; Fiji; Micronesia (Federated States of); Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Iceland; Kiribati; Comoros; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Saint Lucia; Lesotho; Libya; Montenegro; Marshall Islands; Mauritania; Namibia; Nauru; Papua New Guinea; Palau; Paraguay; Solomon Islands; Seychelles; Somalia; Suriname; Sao Tome and Principe; Kingdom of Eswatini; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Holy See;
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Vanuatu; Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of Resources Management Officer (RMO) in Maputo, Mozambique, in cooperation with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), in particular Emergency Support Unit (ESU) and the Global Procurement and Supply Unit (GPSU) at the Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and Regional Office (RO) in Pretoria, South Africa, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for ensuring the appropriate implementation of Instructions, Regulations and Rules which govern IOM management of resources related to procurement in the Country Office (CO) and its sub-offices.
S/he will be responsible and accountable for providing support to ongoing activities with procurement and logistics services. S/he will also contribute to providing recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness, efficiency and transparency of the procurement management in Mozambique, guided by the principles when undertaking all procurement activities:
• Best value for money
• Accountability, integrity and transparency
• Fairness and effective competition
• Best interest of IOM
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the CoM and RMO, assist with the strategic planning, implementation and monitoring aspects related to procurement and logistical needs of the Mission.
- Assist with the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, asset administration, warehousing and transport support (Fleet Management) within established internal control mechanisms.
- Liaise with project managers regarding procurement, logistics and service requirements to facilitate the consolidation of procurement (or service) requirements and the optimization of purchasing power.
- Monitor and update information/database for vendor/contractor accreditation and evaluation process to ensure availability of pool of reliable vendors and contractors to address the needs of the country.
- Analyze procurement requests, identify service providers, and evaluate information regarding vendor’s performance regarding quality, prices, and delivery of goods in view of the Organization’s best interests.
- Responsible for the procurement of goods, both locally and internationally, and ensure that the Organization’s procurement procedures are strictly followed.
- Follow-up on status of purchase orders and keep project managers abreast of estimated time of delivery or any changes that may affect or modify the pre-determined delivery conditions; ensure all expected merchandise is received in accordance with PO (Purchase Order) specifications, and that all goods are in good condition.
- Organize and maintain proper procurement and filing systems as well as assist RMO in records keeping management in relation to the projects.
- Update and maintain tracking system to account for commodities, supplies, equipment and project’s assets in the mission.
- Provide guidance to Country Offices and sub offices to implement contract tracking and administration system to ensure proper tracking and monitoring of contracts/agreements procured by projects. Provide support in drafting contracts agreements, including Long Term Agreements (LTAs), and ensure that proper coordination with Legal Unit is adhered to prior to any engagement to the contracting party;
- Contribute technical inputs for the preparation and implementation of permanent instructions for procurement, warehouse operations and asset administration that are compliant to IOM’s general instructions, policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Train and supervise national staff ensuring that they conform to established procedures and assist in producing monthly and regular reports.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Procurement, Logistics, Business Administration, Management or a related
field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience;
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Certification in Procurement, Logistics or Supply Chain management is an advantage.
• Strong technical experience in procurement and logistics at an international level;
• Diverse experience working on complex projects and emergencies, specifically meeting timelines and milestones;
• Knowledge of asset management processes and procedures; Sound skills in reporting and computer excel and word.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of
Portuguese, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 April 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 12.04.2019 to 25.04.2019
Requisition: SVN 2019/111 (P) – Procurement and Logistics Officer (P2) – Beira, Mozambique (55927451) Released
Posting: Posting NC55927452 (55927452) Released