Organization:National Democratic Institute
Job Function: Washington DC
Location: Washington, DC
Program Assistant: Eurasia
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking Program Assistants to join its Eurasia team and support country staff, program officers, and senior management in the day-to-day activities and support in the planning, designing and implementation of programs related to strengthening civil society, enhancing democratic governance, enhancing women’s and other marginalized groups’ political participation, and strengthening political parties.
Under close supervision of a program officer, senior program manager or other individual in authority within the team, the Program Assistant will:
- provide administrative and logistical support to the Eurasia team in Washington DC and field offices
- contribute to writing and reporting of various documents specific to the team and/or region
- assist in creating initial drafts of budgets; and monitor program budgets
- participate in program support and conduct research on programs
- provide administrative support for proposal production and work plan formulation
- attend meetings in keep up to date on the latest information on team, region, or partnersQualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in political science, international relations, Russian/Eurasian studies or a related field; a combination of education and experience in lieu of degree can be considered
- Demonstrated coursework and/or internship, professional or significant volunteer experience in community organizing, political campaigning, international development, organizational development, legislative affairs or related subject
- Good oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications, especially the Google platform
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures
- Ability and willingness to travel to regional locations, which are often remote and difficult to reach
- Interest in and knowledge of regional political environment and people
- Fluency in oral and written English required; Additional linguistic abilities in Russian and other regional languages also useful
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlinesComments:
The position is based in Washington, DC and available immediately; applicants must be willing to travel to DC at their own expense for interviews.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.