Organization:Médecins Sans Frontières
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Program Department Associate coordinates and provides administrative support to multiple units in the Program Department including but not limited to the Humanitarian Representation Team (HRT), Access Campaign, Medical & Operational Research Unit, eHealth Unit, and Medical Unit. They oversee the work of two department assistants and the program department intern to ensure that workflows are well managed.
The Program Department Associate coordinates efforts aimed at improving and updating the Dynamics contact management database. They are responsible for: information security management; timely & accurate update of contact information; educating users on how best to leverage the system to make themselves more productive; pushing users to be more self-sufficient; and, recommending revisions to the system in line with feedback in addition to day to day administrative management of the system.
The Program Department Associate also consults proactively with department units to understand their support needs. They evaluate requests for support vs. available resources. They provide support and manage administrative support workflows through negotiated agreements with individual department stakeholders. They propose the need for additional or reduced resources in line with consultations.
Administrative support to the multiple units in the Program Department. (35%)
• Arranges formal high-level meeting requests to external contacts on behalf of the Humanitarian Representative, the Humanitarian Affairs Advisor, the Representative to the UN, the U.S. Access Campaign Advisor and the Director of Programs. Scheduling of formal exchanges on behalf of other Program Department staff done upon request from direct supervisor.
• Ensures meeting agendas, itinerary, and travel logistics for major meeting rounds or trips are compiled and distributed on time.
• Coordinates bi-weekly Advocacy Meeting, takes minutes, and circulates agendas in addition to any other administrative support needed for this meeting.
• Provides additional support to scheduling, calendar management, meeting minutes, etc. for individuals upon request but through negotiated agreements; adjusts resources to accommodate workflows in the medium to long-term to maximize support structures.
• Ensures all applications for UN conference participation in New York are processed by support team and acts as the main administrator contact point for all UN conferences and events in New York.
• Researches potential meeting targets based on previous interactions and external developments.
• Provides regular reports detailing mass email distribution and workflow issues, and recommends opportunities for improvement to different stakeholders within the department.
• Serves as main contact point for MSF-USA projects involving the Program Department (e.g. office services updates, MSFW, etc.). Communicates and coordinates internal information flow. Shares Operational Updates with MSF-USA staff as they are made available.
• Ensures support is given to Program Department meetings and events by organizing office staff to present or participate as needed.
• Organizes and facilitates bi-weekly Program Updates for MSF-USA office staff.
Data Management: Dynamics 365 Contact Management, SharePoint, et al. (20%)
• Takes responsibility for the Dynamics365 database by inputting advocacy/diplomatic activities, contact information, and notes in the centralized database. Due to the sensitive nature of the information in the database, the Associate must use judgement and abide by department guidelines prior to sharing information or reports.
• Updates the Dynamics365 style guide and facilitates the training and usage of the database by responsible program department employees.
• Monitors, tracks, flags & fixes specific issues and such as the overlap of contacts across advocacy and diplomatic portfolios.
• Provides institutional memory through leveraging the contact data. Conducts contact bio research for Advocacy Unit as requested that capitalizes on both internal and external sources.
• Manages the storage and filing of all records of scheduled meetings and their subsequent meeting notes on shared network hard drives. Recommends changes or improvements to methods of managing information.
• Collaborates with the Systems Department to provide design feedback for continued refinement of Dynamics365 database to best meet department needs.
• Delegates additional administrative tasks to the Program Department Intern as needed to facilitate continued maintenance of the database.
Financial Management (30%)
• Oversees all budgets housed in the Program Department disseminating budget updates regularly, monitoring expense coding and allocations, and facilitates annual budget writing process for all Program Department units.
• Manages all invoice processing and other administrative tasks relating to financial tracking.
• Ensures all financial processes are completed in accordance with MSF Financial Code of Conduct.
• Works as liaison between Program Department and Finance Department, with a special focus on annual budget and budget review processes.
Supervisory Responsibilities (10%)
• Supervises the Program Administrative Assistant and Program Travel Assistant, any other temporary or permanent support staff in the Program Department Support Unit according to MSF USA established procedures. This includes direct management, provision of guidance and feedback, approval of vacations, carrying out formal performance evaluations, etc.
• Manages bandwidth issues and oversees the workload of the assistants, task shifting as necessary or proposing improvements to the way services are requested of the Assistants.
• Advises Program Assistants on special cases for travel and finance issues. Develops new administrative systems and how to handle large work flows and confirming that administrative processes are taking place as intended.
• Required to fill in for Assistant positions when there is any gap in coverage especially as it relates to finance or travel.
• Is authorized to hire interns for support as needed. Has responsibility in onboarding and supervising any and all department interns.
• Manages recruitment process for the program department intern as well as any additional temporary staff, volunteers, or new program support assistance by reviewing and screening candidate applications and liaising with Domestic Human Resources as necessary.
• Manages specific requests to prepare briefs on assigned dossiers, prepare meeting background research, monitor agency updates, and other topics.
• Works flexibly with full understanding of the dynamic nature of work, with a constant readiness to adapt, change, and rethink strategies and ways of working.
• Proactively engages with the department to anticipate and solve support challenges before they arise.
• Other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions & Travel Requirements
The duties of the job require regular attendance 5 days per week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required. Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic business travel. Travel opportunities are limited.
• Fluent written and spoken English
• Minimum two years related work experience plus bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Outstanding proven time management skills and organizational skills
• Keen attention to detail with ability to track multiple projects at one time
• Ability to synthesize complex and sensitive material and record information accurately
• Demonstrated leadership skills and propensity to collaborate proactively with others
• Ability to work independently and handle a large volume of work
• Ability to prioritize ongoing vs. immediate needs based on workload and departmental requests
• Flexibility and ability to exercise good judgment and discretion
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; ability to effectively and diplomatically communicate with a range of actors
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); experience with Dynamics and Office365 preferable
• Commitment to MSF’s humanitarian principles
• General understanding of the scope of humanitarian work and international current events
Full Time Exempt
Starting salary high 50s to low 60s (commensurate with experience).
Desired Hiring Date: 29, October 2018
How to Apply
- To apply, send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to:email@example.com.
- Submissions without a cover letter or in other formats (Word, multiple documents, etc.) will not be reviewed.
- No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Send the application ATTN: Program Department Associate Application.
- Application Deadline: 12p EDT on Tuesday, 9 October 2018
- Interview Date: Thursday, 11 October 2018
- If applicant is not based in New York, candidate must indicate their ability to relocate in their cover letter. Note that no relocation assistance can be provided. Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information please visit our website:www.doctorswithoutborders.org