Organization: Relief International
Job Title: Program Director
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Reports To: Country Director – South Sudan
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Program Director will oversee daily program operations and coordination of all aspects of Relief International’s programming in South Sudan. He/she will collaborate with the South Sudan Country Director in the ongoing implementation of projects. He/she will also lead on new business/program development, manage the technical program managers and sector leads, and track spending and implementation to ensure quality program management. This position is based in Juba, and will require trips to field locations.
• Collaborate with the Country Director and technical program managers to provide strategic vision and leadership for RI’s portfolio in South Sudan
• Meet with donors and potential new partners at the field and national level identify potential funding opportunities in collaboration with senior management
• Manage and supervise technical program managers (including a Livelihoods Program Manager, WASH Program Manager, and Health Program Manager) to ensure timely and quality implementation
• Lead program development process in South Sudan, providing direct inputs when necessary and ensuring proposals are of high quality before submission
• Oversee reporting and communications, providing final review and quality assurance before submission of external reports, updates, and other publications for external audiences
• Represent RI at the national and field level and serve as primary organizational focal point for program-related issues both internally and externally
Program Management & Operations (50%)
• In collaboration with technical program managers, lead mobilization process with field and technical teams upon receiving a new award, and ensure spending projections and forecasts, procurement and recruitment plans, and work plans, are all developed at the offset
• Monitor/track spending across projects, reviewing projections compiled by program managers and area managers at the field level
• Maintain, update, and regularly review RI’s master country operational analysis, consolidating inputs from programs and finance
• Develop and regularly review program work plans, projections and spending, and achievements towards targets with technical component leads and finance to ensure timely and quality implementation
• Organize periodic project review meetings (mid and final) following initial mobilization meeting to ensure progress is on-track
• Serve as the focal point throughout the program modification/budget realignment process, liaising with the donor, country office staff, regional teams, and RI global support office (GSO)
• Responsible for overseeing reporting and M&E staff to ensure reports meet internal quality standards and donor requirements
New Business Development & Representation (30%)
• Pro-actively seek and identify new funding opportunities, initiate and lead donor negotiations, and act as country representative during discussions both internally and externally on strategic opportunities
• Lead program development process in South Sudan, compiling and editing inputs for grant proposals from sector leads, finance staff, and senior management
• When necessary, develop and review program budgets, compile proposal inputs from technical leads, and assemble final proposal documents prior to donor submission
• Ensure timely submission of high quality proposals and supporting documentation
• Ensure compliance with proposal requirements, RI processes, and donor policies and regulations
• Strengthen current donor relations and build partnerships with new donors to support continued donor/portfolio diversification
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders in South Sudan, including NGOs, ministries/local authorities, and UN agencies
• Represent RI South Sudan in external coordination, networking, donor relations, and other forums
Budget & Grant Management (20%)
• Serve as the primary budget approver for operational and program costs
• Responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated, providing oversight and quality assurance on technical program managers
• Ensure effective and coordinated budget monitoring/spending reviews occur on a regular basis, coordinating with finance and program teams
• Assist programs and operations teams in monitoring and tracking burn rate to ensure proper management
• Ensure that country office operations are conducted in accordance with applicable statutory and tax requirements
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
• University Degree required, Master’s level preferred in International Development, Community Development or related discipline; the educational as well as professional background & expertise in Health, Nutrition or Food Security is strongly preferred.
• 5+ years demonstrated management experience in development and implementation of emergency Relief programming, preferably in developing country (s).
• Experience in grant writing and fund raising, experience working with the major donors: OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN Agencies etc.
• Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, stakeholders, NGO partners, and international donor agencies, local and international staff.
• Ability to understand complex security situation and advise program design accordingly
• Knowledge of, and experience in South Sudan strongly preferred
• Excellent written and spoken English; ability to draft high quality proposals as well as donor reports
• Willingness to travel in and out of field at short notice.
• Team player, committed to motivating and leading staff
• Organizational and time management skills.
• Able to work and manage effectively in a hardship post
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
We value our people, offer holistic staff care and rewarding career, along with Inclusive workplace where Transparency and Accountability, Agility and Innovation, Collaboration and Sustainability are highly valued.
For consideration please submit all of the following: a detailed CV, cover letter, salary expectations, and a list of 3 previous supervisors (including email address, where you worked with the person, current employer, and telephone number).
Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this is posted. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Interested Applicants are requested to click on the link below to fill in their application: http://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=RI&cws=4&…