- September 23, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Career with BRAC International
BRAC is a development success story, born in Bangladesh and expanding into 10 other developing countries in Asia and Africa. It spreads anti-poverty solutions making it a global leader in providing opportunities for the world’s poor.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, and is today one of the top leaders in developing cost-effective, evidence-based poverty innovations in extremely poor, fragile and post-disaster settings. BRAC started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002 through its Dutch registered Stichting BRAC International. BRAC International is currently reaching over 19 million people beyond Bangladesh and creating opportunities to break the cycle of poverty.
With a holistic approach that uses a wide array of interventions including microfinance, education, healthcare, legal services and more, BRAC invests in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating an ecosystem in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. Of the world’s top development and humanitarian relief organisations, BRAC is one of the few based in the global south. In February 2020, BRAC was ranked as the number one NGO in the world for the fifth consecutive year by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent media organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Program Manager-Agriculture Food Security & Livelihood, BRAC Liberia
The Program Manager- Agriculture Food Security & Livelihood will be responsible for proper planning and timely implementation of projects, lead and coordinate project activities, manage and provide strategic and technical guidance to the AFSL project managers and facilitating communication among a program’s cross-functional teams.
The objective of Agriculture, Food Security and Livelihood (AFSL) interventions is to reduce hunger and poverty in Liberia by improving the productivity and income of poor small holder farmers through capacity building, technical support, knowledge sharing and access to high quality seed of improved food crop varieties through demonstration and field visits. Job responsibilities include but not limited to the following-
- Lead the program design, planning, budgeting and Implementation. This will include planning for the overall program and monitoring the progress, manage the program’s budget and also manage risks and issues and take corrective measurements. The PM will also coordinate the projects and their interdependencies within BRAC.
- Provide technical and business-oriented services to the volunteers/ promoters to create an enabling environment where farmers can get the advantage of Income Generating Activities (IGA)
- Communicate and coordinate with stakeholders like the government sector (MoA, CARl, Africa Rice) for production processing and marketing of agriculture products & development of the sector
- Maintain good relation and coordinate with local and international NGOs for better collaboration for agriculture developments
- Liaise with Donor Agencies at the National and International levels for agriculture sector development and fund raising
- Ensure integrated development of Adaptive Research and Seed testing farm as per suggestion and guideline of Program anchor and support the Poultry Farm Manager on technical, business and administrative issues on behalf of the Country Director.
- Ensure research and trial activities of new varieties of rice, vegetable, maize, cassava etc. that are adaptable to climate change
- Oversee the implementation of the program in coordination with other programs in a holistic approach
- Ensure value based behaviors among team members
- Ensure Capacity building of staff
- Establish a safeguarding culture across all level of the Programme by implementing the safeguarding policy. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Be responsible to ensure team members are appropriately trained, supported and have access to resources regarding issues that are identified and actioned in accordance with the safeguarding policy and procedure.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
Educational Requirements: Bachelor/Masters in Agricultural Science
Required Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Program Management, coordination and problem solving skills through field experiences
- Planning, staff supervision and critical decision making skills developed through leading a nationwide community base agriculture program
- Unique proposal development, budgeting and fund management skills
- Exceptional people (Interpersonal) skills and communications (oral & written) skills, solid stakeholder relations experiences, excellent public relations and facilitation skills
- Significant exposure to agriculture, social business and development programs in developing country settings especially in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Through understanding and knowledge of cross cutting issues such as nutrition, gender and its integration into agriculture and development programs addressing food security and hidden hunger
- Strong leadership skills, work well in a team as well as individually, enthusiastic and open-minded
- At least 5 years of experience in different Agriculture Development sector for improvement of livelihood of poor and marginal farmers through implementing integrated Agriculture and off farm intervention. 3 years programme Management experience is a must and NGO experience is an added advantage.
- Direct involvement in the agriculture production and marketing related intervention for small holder farmers through Market development approaches
- Experience in handling teams of multi- dimensional programs
- Development of training materials for facilitating marketing and other technical training related to agriculture production, processing and marketing as well as organize, coordinate and facilitate training for staff and farmers both of Partner Organization and Project
- Excellent working experience in establishing effective linkage with different input / service provider, private sector, Government and NGO officials
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: Monrovia, Liberia
How to apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at email@example.com
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 24/21 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 04 October 2021
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are the part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer