Organization: Catholic Relief Services
CRS Philippines was established in 1945 and is the longest-running CRS country program in the world. Currently, CRS Philippines focuses its work on agriculture, peacebuilding, emergency response, disaster risk reduction, and health. The Philippines country program has more than 150 staff with a main office in Manila and sub-offices in Davao, Tacloban, Catarman, and Iligan. CRS programs are implemented through a national network of partners, in close coordination with local, municipal and national government agencies. The Country Program also provides support to CRS’s work in Indonesia, Timor Leste, and the Federated States of Micronesia, and has drawn international recognition for the impact, timeliness, and innovation of its programs and approaches.
You will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) in the Philippines Country Program (CP), ensuring effective MEAL systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your role in the Philippines includes but is not limited to: the supervision of Manila-based MEAL Manager; technical support to MEAL staff in the sub-offices, and leadership for MEAL systems design (including the development of digital data collection systems); oversight of project systems and reporting, design and supervision of evaluations; the implementation of project accountability mechanisms and feedback to partners; developing and implementing training and capacity building plans for MEAL and program staff; supporting the development of ICT4D/E systems which are appropriate for their context; reviewing the MEAL sections of new proposals during initial reviews (including MEAL budget and MEAL plan); and promoting TDYs, learning, exchange visits and other opportunities for MEAL staff within the sub-region.
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight of MEAL for all new and existing projects within the Philippines CP throughout the project cycle to ensure project design, start-up, implementation and close-out are in line with CRS MEAL Policies and Procedures, donor guidelines, and industry best practices.
- Review Terms of Reference for evaluation and review events.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise the MEAL Manager and provide technical oversight to sub-office MEAL staff. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being among the India MEAL team. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, contribute to the recruitment process of MEAL staff, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- In collaboration with sectoral TAs and program managers, lead the development of program learning, identify opportunities for learning, research and publications and implementation of MEAL policy. Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency knowledge management agenda. In collaboration with sectoral TAs and program managers ensure integration of innovations and best practices. Share MEAL learning in relevant CRS or external meetings and events
- .Contribute to the proactive pursuit of opportunities for new funding to ensure growth of the CP sector portfolio in line with agency, regional, and CP strategic priorities. Serve as the technical MEAL lead and writer for projects over $3m or other strategic projects to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor MEAL standards. Contribute to MEAL budgeting and staffing plans and activities for proposals.
- Oversee MEAL technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities for staff and partner organizations to enhance program quality and impact, especially for ICT4D solutions.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of partnerships relevant to MEAL and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Coordinate and monitor financial and material resources relevant to project MEAL needs. Through planning and oversight ensure efficient use of project resources.
- Lead MEAL Community of Practice events, including workshops, exchange visits and knowledge-sharing activities.
- Increase accountability to beneficiaries at every stage of the project cycle through guiding CRS staff and partners and sharing resources (CRS and external) to promote good accountability practices.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations, Biostatistics or a related field required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant field-based experience in coordinating or managing/MEAL technical advising moderately complex projects required preferably with an international NGO.
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), digital data collection platforms (experience with CommCare a plus), PowerBI, Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions
- Strong relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills
- Orientation toward capacity strengthening of staff and partners, and strong training and accompaniment skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language
- English required; F Tagalog a plus.
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable)
- Travel to the field up to 30% of the time.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: MEAL Program Manager Manila
Internal: Philippines Head of Programming, Country Representative, Head of Operation, Heads of Office, Program Manager Emergencies, Program Manager Urban DRR, MEAL staff in sub-offices, Program Manager — Peacebuilding (Davao), MEAL Regional Technical Advisor, Deputy Regional Director Program Quality, and Regional ICT Manager.
External: CRS partners; donor agencies; international NGOs; consultants working in MEAL
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
MEAL Competencies for Specialist Staff:
To fulfill the responsibilities and achieve the desired results of this position, you are expected to have:
- Advanced competency in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, Learning, Analysis and Critical Thinking, ICT4MEAL, MEAL in Management and MEAL in Design;
- Expert level skills/experience in at least one MEAL competency
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply via CRS’ Career Page by clicking on the link below: