Organization: Emissa for Development
Program Officer – Education and Psychosocial Support
Direct Report to:
Senior Program Officer
Indirect report to:
Head of Programs
Education & PSS Teams
Other work relations:
General Description of the Organization:
Emissa is a humanitarian organization, founded and established in the Syrian city of Homs, where our name originates: Emissa is a historical name for Homs. The organization was founded in 2012, when a Syrian grassroots group of volunteers from different ethnical and educational backgrounds came together to support their fellow citizens, suffering from the escalating Syrian crisis.
We are a team, unified by a common belief in human dignity, peace and sustainable development. The objective from the beginning was, and is up to the present day, to support civilians in war and crisis, in particular the most vulnerable, to relieve their suffering and strengthen their resilience to help them overcome the crisis.
- Follow up on the educational projects including all processes and overall alignment with the work plans.
- Follow up on curriculums and educational systems.
- Follow up financial and administrative matters across multiple educational facilities.
- Participate in the preparation of educational proposals and needs assessments and offer necessary suggestions.
- Obtain statistical information, arrange and organize it in specific forms.
- Follow up on the implementation of educational projects in accordance with work plans.
- Address and follow up on any issues (procedural or otherwise); search for solutions and provide the necessary recommendations for work development.
- Provide technical guidance, on the job training, coaching and mentoring to the Education and PSS teams on child protection and GBV minimum standards.
- Efficiently manage the time and schedule of education and PSS teams in mobile and centre-based locations
- Support each member of the education and PSS team to develop weekly, monthly and annual workplans. Update them accordingly and follow-up on implementation.
- Hold weekly team meetings to discuss challenges and successes faced in implementation.
- In coordination with the (MEAL) Officer, ensure the quality implementation of the grants’ MEAL plan. Share the results and lessons learned in a timely fashion with the relevant parties
- Monitor the progress of project targets against indicators on a weekly basis
- Coordinate visits to schools (donor and internal) to follow up on PSS and community-based activities with support from Education Senior Program Officer.
- Maintain positive relations with local implementing actors, local authorities and other international and local stakeholders through information sharing and coordination
- Conduct registration and awareness session activities for children, adolescents and caregivers
- In coordination with other education and PSS officers and community volunteers, prepare work plans with clear objectives and achievement benchmarks, long-term and short-term priorities and implementation plans
- Continuously update the Education and PSS activity reports to include project progress and any necessary modifications to the implementation process.
- To refer at-risk beneficiaries and those with special needs, and follow up the referred cases’ conditions.
- Prepare Attendance and Monitoring Forms relating to Education and PSS activities
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit
- Daily, Weekly and monthly report to the Programs Senior officer / Head of programs.
- Perform any other task relevant to the position or as directed by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s degree in Education, Social Work and/or Psychology
- At least 3 years of experience in INGO, NGO and Humanitarian settings.
- Language Proficiency: Arabic and English skills are required for writing, typing and speaking.
- Experience in managing teams
- Experience in providing trainings and building capacity of staff.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, respect, non-discrimination and safety of beneficiaries at all times
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Flexibility in working overtime when needed
- Experience in undertaking participatory appraisal and monitoring and evaluation
- Good report writing skills
- Priority for those who have Turkish nationality.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at:
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as we may begin screening applications prior to the vacancy closing date.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.