IMS-Fojo is looking for an experienced Programme Manager for our media programme in Somalia
International Media Support (IMS) and Fojo Media Institute (Fojo) are jointly implementing a four-year media development programme in Somalia supporting long-term, systematic transformation and professionalisation of the Somali media landscape in strategic alignment with the values and practices of freedom of expression and media independence as key pillars of democratic state building processes based on rule of law and human rights. The media programme is implemented in close cooperation with Somali partners and in coordination with relevant local and international stakeholders operating in Somalia. Our work in Somalia is supported by Sweden, Denmark, and the European Union.
The role of the Programme Manager is to implement and manage the media development programme in Somalia as well as oversee daily operations within the programme offices in Kenya and Somalia. The Programme Manager will be based in Nairobi, with frequent travel to Somalia. Everyone with the required qualifications and skills is encouraged to apply, regardless of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Include but not limited to:
Programme strategy and design
- Ensure programme implementation and support is based in IMS and Fojo strategic priorities and bring best practices from both organizations
- Ensure programme remains relevant and revise according to needs and socio-political context
- Maintain, identify and develop relations with Somali, regional and international partners and stakeholders
- Undertake fundraising activities
- Responsible for programme cycle management, including budgeting, progress reporting, monitoring & evaluation, Results based Management, grants requirements, work plans etc.
- Responsible for programme is implemented according to budget and adhere to financial guidelines
- Responsible for making sure partners are identified, according to criteria, and assessed.
- Plan and undertake regular missions to Somalia (South-Central, Somaliland and Puntland) when required in connection with program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, partner and donor meetings
Representation and coordination
- Represent the programme and IMS-Fojo at meetings and other events related to the project
- Maintain close contact with Somali, regional and international partners and ensure that activities are properly coordinated
- Ensure that programme adhere to all rules and regulations in programme countries and maintain dialogue with relevant authorities when relevant to ensure ongoing implementation.
Qualifications, skills & experience
- Degree in international development, international relations, Journalism, Media policy or related subject. At least ten years’ relevant professional practice, including at least 5 years managing an international donor-funded project
- Experience and understanding of news media or media development
- Demonstrable ability to work independently within guidelines
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Experience of managing and developing staff
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience living or working in a conflict area
- Working experience in East Africa
- Experience with Nordic and EU donors
- Proven track record in fundraising
- Knowledge of Somali language
The position is offered as a fixed term contract lasting 2 years, with the possibility of an extension. The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary commensurate with their skills and experience.
IMS-Fojo is an equal Opportunities Employer. Female Candidates are encouraged to apply
How to apply
Please use this link for the online application form
Questions regarding the position to:
Esben Q. Harboe, Head of Department – Africa
International Media Support (IMS)
+45 5210 7805 / firstname.lastname@example.org / @forfreemedia / https://mediasupport.org