Organization: International Organization for Migration
Position Title : Programme Manager (MHPSS)
Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
IOM began implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) activities in 2014, targeting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in selected Protection of Civilian (POC) sites in South Sudan. The activities have included direct service delivery such as establishment of psychosocial centres and mobile teams, capacity building of IDP communities and humanitarian actors on MHPSS issues and mainstreaming. IOM is currently providing direct MHPSS services in Malakal, Bentiu and Wau.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission for South Sudan, and the direct supervision of the Head of Operations and in coordination with the global Psychosocial Response and Inter cultural Communication Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the activities within the framework of IOM Mental Health and Psychosocial Support programme in South Sudan.
The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the implementation, coordination and monitoring of MHPSS activities in South Sudan. This includes the management and technical supervision of the National MHPSS Coordination Group Coordinator and National and International staff of the IOM MHPSS program in South Sudan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the overall implementation of the MHPSS projects in a timely manner. Including resource mobilization, budget monitoring and maintaining relevant donor visibility in line with IOM Rules and Regulations.
- Support the Head of Operations and Program Support Unit in identifying program development opportunities in South Sudan and support in project proposals development, identification of new donors and thematic areas of technical intervention
- Take lead in the development and implementation of a holistic and systemic MHPSS strategy for IOM in South Sudan, in line with the IASC guidelines, the pyramid model and IOM MPHSS approaches.
- Manage, monitor technically and administratively the MPHSS team. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building are provided to the IOM MPHSS team and relevant actors where applicable (CCCM, Protection, Health, Nutrition, Education, FSL) including line ministries, IDPs and host community members.
- Ensure at any given time MHPSS program is driven by a sound Monitoring Evaluation Assessment and Learning framework, and that qualitative and quantitative indicators are always relevant and updated.
- Provide technical support and supervision to the MHPSS IASC Coordinator based in Juba.
- To establish comprehensive clear work-plans for staff and MHPSS teams and ensure timely weekly and monthly reporting on IOM MHPSS activities are regularly shared with the PSU and other relevant stakeholders
- To ensure that all standardized and global evidence based MHPSS tool in use within the IOM program, are customized and tailored to the specific contexts of South Sudan
- Coordinate and liaise with other agencies and key actors, relevant Line Ministries in and other civil society actors for mainstreaming MHPSS in host communities, where applicable
- Where relevant provide technical guidance to mainstream effectively MHPSS in IOM planning and project implementations, participate to cluster meetings, working groups, mapping, planning and reporting exercises; take the lead in such thematic exercises when necessary and in the interest of IOM.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in MHPSS programming and MHPSS is harmonized with other protection initiatives and programs e.g. GBV and protection mainstreaming.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Psychology (clinical and counselling), Social Work, Anthropology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
• Professional accreditation from a recognized psychological or counselling association-society a distinctive advantage.
• Participation to IOM corporate Academic programs in Psychosocial Interventions in
Emergency and Displacement or similar will be considered an asset.
• Experience in designing, managing psychosocial support programmes in emergency situation;
• Experience in providing psychosocial support in emergency situation;
• Experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
• Knowledge and experience in facilitating training and developing curricula;
• Experience in clinical counseling psychology, or psychotherapy and counseling for social workers an asset;
• Familiarity with the region an advantage;
• Proficient in MS Office applications and basic knowledge of Statistical Package for the Social
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic and/or one of regional languages is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 October 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 19.09.2018 to 02.10.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/225 (P) – Programme Manager (MHPSS) (P3) – Juba, South Sudan (55656359) Released
Posting: Posting NC55656360 (55656360) Released