Organization: Save the Children
ROLE PURPOSE: The PODD is a member of the Senior Leadership Team. The PODD co-responsible for implementation of all programming in country. The incumbent is responsible for the management of all Field offices, emergency preparedness and response (including DRR). The PODD guarantees business continuity in periods of absence of the DCD-PO.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Deputy Country Director –Programme Operations (DCD-PO)
Dimensions: Save the Children Currently works in nine governorates throughout Yemen with the Country office located in Sana’a, and six Field Offices: Aden, Hodeida, Hajjah, Sa’ada, Taiz, Amran, Ibb and two Sub Offices in Sana’a and Lahj. Save the Children has recently started its operation in Ibb governorate and looking for opportunities to expand its program there. The organization currently employs over 700 national and 30 International staff with the annual funding portfolio of around US$80 million. Save the Children Yemen delivers child centred programmes on child protection, food security and livelihoods, Health and nutrition, WASH, education and child rights governance.
Staff directly reporting to this post: 4 Field Managers (Amran, Hodeida, Hajjah, Sa’ada), Programme Operations Manager (for Aden, Taiz and Ibb) and Roving Operations Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 10 years management experience in an NGO/UN environment, including significant field operations experience running both emergency and development programs at scale and in complex/remote management environments
- Robust experience of NGO emergency program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organisation structure
- A very good understanding and working knowledge of at least 3 of the sectoral programs priorities of the Country Office
- Good experience in logistics/supply chain including procurement
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors (including OFDA, DFID, UNICEF, WFP, WHO, UNHCR, OCHA, ECHO) and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors
- Excellent project management skills related to organisational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of managing and developing a diverse team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Demonstrated credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience working in Arab countries
- Arabic (minimum conversational)
- Working experience in Yemen
- Master’s degree in related field
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document to:
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.