Organization:International Organization for Migration
Position Title :Programme Support Officer
Duty Station :Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment :Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :24 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency & Post-Crisis (EPC) Programme Coordinator, and the overall supervision of the Head of Programs, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for providing support and contributing to the implementation, monitoring and development of EPC projects in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide support and assistance for the timely start-up of the various phases or components of the programme. Follow up on logistical and administrative arrangements, cooperate with national and international authorities, provide information and assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of project staff, and ensure that donor reporting information and schedules are available.
- Monitor specific aspects of project implementation, identify problems and propose action to expedite the delivery of inputs. Analyze progress and implementation reports and identify and document significant project events, decisions, problems or deviations.
- Draft sections of project documents based on results of assessments that have been carried out during various phases. Draft project and budget revisions based on negotiations with donors, changed work plans or budget reallocation.
- Contribute to the development of new projects by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning and administration of individual projects, and drafting of project proposals.
- Undertake duty travel relating to project/programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and new project/programme development, as required.
- Assist in developing and maintaining strong and regular liaison with the project/programme partners, such as governmental authorities, diplomatic missions, and any other concerned agencies and working groups, aiming at coordinating and promoting new activities and facilitating the implementation of ongoing activities and fund raising for new projects/programmes.
- Assist the Programme/Project Manager in monitoring, assessing and evaluation of project/programme activities, and in planning new features that add value to the project’s overall goals.
- Work with experts, consultants and other project participants to ensure that logistical arrangements and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting are well understood and implemented.
- Provide support in preparing regular project/programme reports and communications/visibility materials according to IOM and donor formats as required, and update regularly and report to donors covering all IOM activities. Draft project revisions, including adjusting project budgets on the basis of changed work plans.
- Support the inclusion of SMART indicators in project development, and support project managers in monitoring project implementation and results against those indicators.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project administration. Knowledge of social and development issues as well as general migration related issues. Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures;
• Experience in humanitarian programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Familiarity with financial and business administration;
• Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English and French is required.
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 11.09.2018 to 24.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/214 (P) – Programme Support Officer (P2) – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (55637049) Released
Posting: Posting NC55644995 (55644995) Released