JOB DESCRIPTION – PROJECT ENGINEER
Job Title: Project Engineer – Emergency
- Job Summary
The Project Engineer will provide technical support towards the implementation of project activities mainly CFW under ESFP to ensure program obligations are realized, accounted for, documented and reported as per the contractual expectations in accordance with CARE programming principles/standards and donors’ contractual obligations. The Project Engineer will report to the Team Leader – Emergency who coordinates with Senior Project Officers and Project Officers to ensure delivery of the project activities. He/ She will liaise closely with the SPO responsible for the CFW. The Project Engineer will be responsible for the delivery on the design and construction aspects of both project sites including (but not limited to) community structures and constructions for the cash for work e.t.c and the key tasks include planning of activities to be implemented, supervision of the activities to ensure that the agreed minimum standards are met, sound contract and financial management of these activities and provide support to the community to do quality work for the identified cash for work activities. The position is based in Galmudug office in Galkacyo, but a significant amount of time (80%) is expected to be spent in the field for supervision.
- Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the guidance and supervision of Team Leader-South, the Project Engineer will undertake the following duties:
· Coordinate and monitor the work being undertaken by community and ensure that all work is implemented according to the agreed upon standards and implementing procedures from selection of activities to be implemented, design, and the project is completed within the specified timeframe and to a high standard.
· Ensure that comprehensive site surveys, assessment and supervision are conducted for program works for the selected CFW activities.
· Maintain and update the physical locations of the activities including geo-coordinates of structures.
· To develop and implement appropriate and cost effective designs, using appropriate technology where possible and in consultation with the community, local administration/governments and CARE program staff.
· To ensure the development of accurate Bill of Quantities (BOQs) for all construction work.
· To develop accurate budgets for all specific activities and monitor the actual work and expenditures against specific budgets through timely liquidation for the activities completed supported with report.
· Certification of works ensuring quality and quantity of works based on drawings, specifications and contractual stipulations for activities.
· To contribute to the capacity building of site supervisors in construction management and supervision for the CFW activities.
· Assist the SPO and PO in the promotion of community participation and ownership through liaising with the project beneficiaries and support the team in handover of facilities.
· Coordinate with other engineers within the emergency program for exchange of ideas, technical assistance and capacity building for better delivery of services to the community and cover for other engineers in their absent and need for support.
· Prepare weekly/monthly work schedules in consultation with the Team leader south central.
· Prepare concise technical reports and advice in support of Care activities in the area on a monthly basis to the Team leader
· Liaise with project staff at all levels for the projects, supporting them in their tasks, and bringing any issue/problem to the attention of the respective line manager in this case Team leader.
· Represent CARE at meetings with other partners when requested to do so by the Area Manager.
· Provide technical guidelines and specifications for all procurement to be done for ESFP in line with activities to be done and adhering to quality of work needed.
· Prepare work plans for all activities to be done under the program in liaison with team leader south central with time frames on when an activity has to be done and completed.
· To help develop strategies by which the project can monitor its results and attain its objectives.
· To be instrumental in developing positive change, thereby influencing the general direction the project will follow in terms of social and technical activities.
· To give technical advice and support to other projects, when required and when it is practical to do so.
· The Project Engineer will perform any other task assigned by his supervisors.
- Required Qualifications (minimum requirements)
Education and Experience
o Relevant Diploma/University degree preferably civil Engineer
o Minimum of three years of progressive experience in similar capacity with an INGO, UN, Government institution etc with demonstrated good project design and civil engineer works.
o Strong command of English, with excellent computer skills specifically AutoCAD and other design packages, word and excel.
o Experience working with pastoral communities, fluency in Somali language is desired.
o Excellent managerial skills (planning and organizational skills, problem solving capabilities, innovative and industrious)
o Excellent team building, coaching and mentoring skills.
o Knowledge and experience of project management
o Team player, who is able to develop strong collaborative relations across the organization, in both the program and program support departments
o Good leadership and negotiating skills
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to draft clear and concise reports.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan and coordinate own work.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work independently, multi-task and work and well under pressure.
- Able to work in a team and alone
- Ability to manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to field based emergencies.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Key Relationships
o The Project Engineer will be reporting to the Team Leader south central.
Working closely with
o Area managers.
o Field Program Staff
o Security team (advisory role in program design and management from a security point of view)
o Other program support departments (logistics, procurement HR issues etc)
o Local governments’ technical departments at ministry and regional level
o Municipal and regional government
o Local NGO partners
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit one document as an attachment (combining the application letter and CV with at least 3 professional referees) via email toSOMRecruitment@care.orgby close of business on15th October2018. Please include the referenceProject Engineer -Galkacayo Galmudugas the subject of your email. Do not attach your testimonials or certificates.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.