MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. MONITORING, EVALUATION, AND ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING 35%
The PMS will lead the Office of Education and Youth in establishing performance measures; collecting and analyzing performance data; ensuring data quality, particularly those provided by implementation partners and other external sources; planning and managing evaluations and assessments; and contributing to data-driven decision-making and resource allocation.
● Serve as the MEL expert and provide senior/high level technical assistance to EDY and Mission staff, other USG agencies, implementing partners including teams within the GOK to develop and manage appropriate and useful MEL practices tailored to the education and youth context of USAID and Kenya.
● Lead EDY team in the development and execution of an evaluation plan that ensures compliance with USAID Evaluation Policy. Advises thematic teams/working groups and technical specialists on planning, designing, and implementing appropriate evaluation plans. Design and plan evaluations, special studies and assessments such as those that inform new strategy and project design or that help inform or facilitate activity implementation.
● Manage the Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) component of EDY activities. Coordinate student learning assessments across all EDY awards to ensure effective implementation and sharing of knowledge.
● Develop tools and data systems, monitoring and evaluation toolkits, surveys, guidelines, and protocols to enhance EDY data collection and analysis. Conduct rigorous analysis of data from a variety of sources to pinpoint project implementation obstacles and facilitate adaptive management of interventions through rapid feedback.
● Conduct frequent EDY field visits to monitor activities, ensure data quality, and enhance reporting and messaging.
● Lead discussions with senior MOE officials and other development partners on the adaptation of national and local education M&E systems aligned to USG and other development partner investments.
● Identifying, analyzing and synthesizing external education and youth data to provide informed recommendations to EDY, USAID/KEA, and the GOK.
B. PROGRAM/PROJECT/ACTIVITY MANAGEMENT 25%
The PMS will lead the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities for the Office of Education and Youth.
● Facilitate the design, procurement, and implementation of a variety of external performance and impact evaluations and third-party monitoring projects.
● Serve as an Agreement Officer’s Representative (AOR) and/or Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) for one or more activities including a systems strengthening activity supporting the Ministry of Education and county governments nationwide. Ensure that USAID exercises prudent management over the award, monitor the recipient’s progress in achieving program objectives, provide financial/programmatic oversight to ensure awards achieve anticipated results and are linked to, and enhance attainment of, EDY, USAID/KEA, and USG objectives.
● Maintain monthly project financial management tracking systems to ensure that obligations, expenditures, and budget pipelines conform to action plans and results. Ensure appropriate and timely incremental funding of activities. Prepare internal implementation documentation including GLAAS actions and other required reporting.
● Ensure activities comply with USAID and USG regulations, audits, evaluations, assessments and reviews.
C. STAKEHOLDER CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT AND REPRESENTATION 20%
The PMS will provide leadership, high-level technical assistance, and training to staff, implementing partners, GOK Ministry of Education and county government representatives, and other stakeholders to improve MEL practices.
● Engage with national and county government M&E counterparts on capacity building and other activities aimed at strengthening monitoring and evaluation systems across the sector. Utilize a co-creation approach to design and implement an M&E capacity building plan. Collaborate with MOE and county governments to ensure M&E plans are aligned with USG investments.
● Represent EDY in GOK and development partner coordination meetings and programmatic/technical working groups on MEL issues, and in consultations with other social sector donors, government officials, and IPs.
● Provide technical leadership and oversight to the MOE and other host-country government staff to ensure that national-level data is available and reliable, and works with senior technical staff to ensure that USG data contributes to an accurate picture of the situation on the ground, that double-counting is avoided, and that results are attributable to USAID (and USG) interventions.
● Leads USAID’s support to the host government for the development and management of a national information system, and a central repository for education data; and serves as USAID point of contact for education data and information systems. Provides technical input into GOK national and county level education strategies, plans, and policies as well as new designs of development partner assistance with a focus on MEL issues that avoid duplication of effort and maximize development assistance to Kenya. Leads negotiations, planning, design, with senior GOK officials on strengthening of MOE M&E systems, tracked indicators, and targets.
● Engage across East Africa regional entities on education and youth MEL issues to lead and direct coordination and technical assistance.
● Assess the technical capacity of IPs and EDY to identify M&E training needs. Participate in the planning and implementing of training tailored to the learning needs of each target group.
● Provide coaching and mentoring to build the technical capacity of EDY’s AOR/COR staff to monitor and evaluate the performance of Education and Youth awards. This includes assisting AOR/CORs with mandatory data quality assessments and conducting site visits to enhance reporting and messaging.
● Ensure the Agency’s J2SR approach underpins all capacity building activities.
● Review MEL plans in project proposals and new awards. Work with stakeholders to ensure application of high-quality MEL activities and data collection.
D. REPORTING AND PROGRAM/PROJECT/ACTIVITY PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT 20%
The PMS will lead the office in the design, collection, dissemination, and use of strategic information to enable evidence-based decision-making that lead to improved service quality and better education outcomes.
● Develop a learning agenda for the EDY portfolio linked to Mission and Agency learning agendas on basic education, youth workforce development, and higher education sub-sectors. Represent EDY in Agency-wide learning agenda setting efforts.
● Develop innovative and cross-cutting monitoring tools, including Data Quality Assessment and Improvement (DQA/I) tools in coordination with the Program Office and MEL contractors; tracks and maintains multiple sets of key indicators, common indicators related to standard components in all USAID programs/projects/activities, indicators at the strategic objective level, and detailed indicators at the activity level; and ensures proper collection of data, and that indicators serve are an appropriate measure of their corresponding results.
● Provide technical strategic information and M&E expertise to the USAID/KEA Program Office and USAID/ Washington to support EDY reporting requirements and contribution to the MEL components of USG annual planning and reporting including USAID/KEA’s Performance Management Plan (PMP), Performance Plan and Report (PPR), the annual EDY portfolio review, including collection, assessment of validity, and improving data quality, and other reporting needs.
● Provide expert direction and technical guidance and MEL services and support to IPs in the development and implementation of program/project/activity Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plans. Provides guidance to IPs in understanding of the PMP systems, and their role in the process, and advises on specific measurement techniques appropriate for their programs/projects/activities.
● Provide technical leadership to CORs/AORs and IPs to ensure activity work plans and monitoring plans include relevant and effective performance measures, which together provide greater results and more accurate measurements. Provides expert guidance to EDY technical staff on defining measurable indicators and targets for desired results addressed by their activities, and edits quarterly, semi-annual, and annual performance reports.
● Respond flexibly and capably to a wide range of work-related requirements, including but not limited to Congressional inquiries or other inquiries, maintaining and reporting on EDY indicators, supporting and managing VIP visits, contributing the portfolio reviews, reviewing performance monitoring plans, and tracking accruals.
● Utilize data findings to guide EDY in applying appropriate adaptive management approaches. Coordinate with EDY staff to disseminate data that enable evidence-based discussions for learning and adaptive management. Ensures that external communications and reporting related to MEL are accurate and consistent.
● Lead, design, and perform assessments/studies/research requiring independent analysis and interpretation, on a regular and recurring basis; studies and research are cross-cutting and include substantive and often sensitive Mission and EDY Office topics. Briefs EDY and Mission leaders on findings and makes recommendations to impact strategic, operational and programmatic direction; prepares data visualizations to facilitate presentations of findings to both internal and external audiences; understands current trends in data visualization and employs appropriate tools and resources to distill complex data into visually engaging products that are easily understood by a diverse audience including the U.S. Congress, U.S. taxpayers, the Government of Kenya, the Kenyan public, in addition to USAID, international donors, and implementing partners.
How to apply
How to Apply
Step 1: Register in MyJobsInKenya at www.myjobsinkenya.com
Step 2: Complete the job application questionnaire at www.myjobsinkenya.com The applicant must answer all the questions in the Questionnaire.
Step 3: Internal Applicants/Current USG Employees: Attach an updated curriculum vitae/resume (no more than five pages), a copy of your most recent Performance Evaluation Report, and copies of all relevant certificates. Scan and attach all the documents and upload to MyJobsInKenya.
External Applicants/Not Current USG Employees: Attach an updated curriculum vitae/resume (no more than five pages) and copies of all relevant certificates. Upload all the documents to MyJobsInKenya.
Note to Applicants:
- Applications must be received by the closing date and time specified in Section I, item 3, and submitted through myjobsinkenya.com as stated in Section IV.
- Submissions will only be accepted through www.myjobsinkenya.com Late and Incomplete applications (those that do not contain the applicant’s most current and up to date detailed CV and relevant education certificates) will not be considered for the position. The closing date for receipt of applications is indicated above.
- USAID DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING) AND DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.