Organization:International Organization for Migration
Position Title :Project Officer (DTM) (2 positions)
Duty Station :Juba, South Sudan
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment :Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :25 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations in IOM South Sudan, the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (DTM) and in close collaboration with relevant units in the Country Office, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting all operational aspects of the DTM operations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the set-up and implementation of DTM field operations covering mobility tracking, flow monitoring, assessments and surveys, as well as biometric registration, verification and authentication.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of data collection tools, methodologies, standard operating procedures and work plans, as well as identification of target areas, to ensure timely and relevant data collection.
- Take responsibility for all logistical arrangements related to deployment of staff to field locations, including ensuring administrative requirements are fulfilled timely and correctly in coordination with the security, resource management and procurement units of IOM.
- Supervise DTM Operations Assistants and Data Entry Clerks, as well as temporary workers engaged in the field. Identify areas for improvement and undertake trainings and on-the-job capacity building to ensure programme quality.
- Undertake field support and monitoring missions to maximize performance of DTM field activities, liaising closely with local authorities and partners.
- Provide timely updates on activities being implemented to the Programme Coordinator and highlight any areas of concern promptly. Contribute to internal and external reporting and the documentation of best practices and lessons learned.
- Help foster good relationships with partners and national authorities through close engagement at the field level, including consultation prior to and throughout implementation of activities, as well as sharing of resulting findings once published.
- Help establish referral mechanisms for specific protection cases in collaboration with the United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS), UN agencies and Non-Governmental Organisation (NGOs) with established expertise on responding to vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Collaborate closely with IOM programme units and humanitarian and transition partners to optimize the utility and impact of DTM, particularly in relation to rapid response missions, programme planning and linkages to transition programming, including integration of protection and cross- cutting indicators.
- Facilitate the integration of gender perspectives and attention to specific women/girl’s and children’s rights issues (vulnerable groups) within all DTM activities.
- Assist in ensuring compliance of all DTM staff with IOM Data Protection Principles.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, International Relations, Political Science, Communications, Information Management, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working in international organizations and the humanitarian community;
• Experience in project implementation in a humanitarian context;
• Experience in data collection, research, and report writing;
• Experience with biometric registrations a distinct advantage;
• Experience writing technical documents, translating/planning specifications to technical briefs for data capture/analysis, and compiling diverse datasets;
• Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office package (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
• Experience working on issues such as migration, displacement, and humanitarian assistance;
• Previous experience working in South Sudan a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 12.09.2018 to 25.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/217 (P) – Project Officer (DTM) (2 positions) (P2) – Juba, South Sudan (55646607) Released
Posting: Posting NC55646628 (55646628) Released