Near East Foundation
Protection & Gender Officer (National Position)
Reports to: Senior Project Coordinator
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Type: Full-time, Project
Travel: Frequent travel between project sites within Lebanon
Relocation: Relocation assistance is not provided
The Near East Foundation (NEF) is seeking candidates for a Protection & Gender Officer to be based in its Lebanon office in Beirut. For over 100 years, NEF has worked to build more sustainable, prosperous, and inclusive communities in the Middle East and Africa through education, governance, and economic development initiatives. Working through a network of country offices and local partners, NEF currently has approximately 350 staff members and programs in nine countries: Armenia, Jordan, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Palestine, Senegal, Sudan, and Syria. Its programs are organized around three themes: Peacebuilding through Economic Cooperation, Resilient Agriculture and Development, and Inclusive Economic Development/Microenterprise Development.
The Protection & Gender Officer is a member of the Near East Foundation Beirut team in Lebanon. The postholder has the responsibility to ensure protection and gender mainstreaming in all activities under NEF Lebanon’s livelihoods projects, and to facilitate the implementation of protection-based livelihoods activities. Project activities aim to reduce household economic vulnerability and reliance on harmful coping strategies by increasing access to livelihoods and protection information and coping skills.
The role will mainly require the postholder to: (a) organize and facilitate gender-based violence (GBV) awareness and protection workshops with partners and participants; (b) ensure that community-based organizations (CBOs) have proper GBV and protection protocols in place; (c) ensure GBV awareness and protection are mainstreamed into programming; (d) ensure safe spaces for project participants are available within the CBOs and meet necessary standards; (e) develop a referral process in coordination with CBO partners to ensure vulnerable cases are received, handled and referred with necessary follow-up; (f) play a role in the identification and selection of vulnerable beneficiaries for livelihoods support, including examining cases of vulnerability in more detail as required; and (g) support the coordination and implementation of livelihoods activities.
Main Duties Include:
Implementation, Monitoring & Oversight
- Ensure protection mainstreaming and gender inclusion in all components and activities through regular field monitoring, collaboration with staff, capacity building of partners, etc.
- Maintain a robust and up-to-date referral system to receive and respond to protection cases in all locations.
- Ensure smooth implementation of protection-related activities against targets and budget.
Reporting & Documentation
- Ensure gender and protection strategies, SoPs, guidelines and frameworks are updated, explained and in place, to guide project implementation.
- Collate/compile field-generated information and provide required inputs into progress/final reports on a timely manner and in compliance with HQ/donor requirements.
- Identify and draft relevant impact and success stories related to protection mainstreaming and gender inclusion.
- Ensure proper documentation and data protection of vulnerable cases received and handled by protection focal points.
- Deliver needed basic training to NEF/CBO teams & provide regular refreshers.
- Provide team/individual guidance and technical capacity through training, operational planning, daily interaction, regular team meetings, and learning and reflection events to implement gender, GBV and protection effectively and efficiently into project activities.
- Provide training to beneficiaries on relevant protection/gender inclusion topics.
Representation & Coordination
- Represent NEF in protection/GBV and basic assistance working groups at national and local levels, and other relevant interagency workshops or events in related sectors.
- Share relevant project information and documents as it relates to protection and gender with project team, partners, HQ and other stakeholders.
- In coordination with the Senior Project Coordinator, identify areas for collaboration with UN agencies, international NGOs, local NGOs, government departments around protection and gender issues.
Program Development & Strategic Planning
- Contribute to the design of a protection strategy of the Lebanon operation.
- Support/facilitate field assessments and discussions as required to identify new areas of intervention.
- Ensure compliance with applicable donor rules and regulations on gender and protection.
- Capacity to directly or indirectly supervise small teams.
- Any other duties relating to the nature of the job as requested by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in international human rights, law, sociology, social work, or other relevant field.
- 2 years of relevant protection experience with a humanitarian and/or development organization.
- 1 years of project management/coordination experience.
- 1 years of experience working on livelihoods projects.
- Experience working in the field, and leading/managing teams.
- Understands rights and protection issues of refugees, children and women, including solid experience working with vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian communities.
- Fluency in Arabic and English, both written and verbal.
- Proven analytical and writing skills.
- High-level of knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. required.
- Willingness and able to travel to field sites frequently.
- Able to take initiative and very self-motivated, with a strong capacity to work within a team.
- Able to work independently, with a strong work ethic and high level of professionalism.
- Capable of maintaining confidentiality and ensuring others do as well.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willingness to learn from and support others.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks, and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Strong commitment to humanitarian principles.
Application Deadline: 21 July 2019
Please apply by visiting our careers page at https://neareast.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=31with the following documents:
- Cover letter outlining all relevant experience and skills based on the requirements above and availability date
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (former and current supervisors)
NEF reserves the right to close the position before the application deadline if a suitable candidate is identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Near East Foundation by visiting the NEF website at www.neareast.org.
The Near East Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.