Training Agency:Helsinki España – Human Dimension
Registration deadline:15 Apr 2019
Training date:25 May 2019to29 Jun 2019—
REACTcourse is a five-week training programme on international peace operations intended for professionals interested in improving their knowledge of conflict prevention, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation, as well as developing practical skills for their work in the field.
The course is aimed at preparing international experts for their deployment in peace operations led by international organizations including the United Nations (UN), the Organization for the Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), the European Union (EU) and other regional organizations.
The course will take place in Madrid, at the premises of the‘Escuela de Organización Industrial (EOI)’which is located at Av. de Gregorio del Amo 6.
Objectives of the course:
· To provide participants with the knowledge and skills to analyze the main threats to international peace and security; the contexts in which conflicts arise; key actors; and their impact on civilians.
· To build the participants’ capabilities in prevention, management and resolution of conflicts as well as for the protection of civilians in armed conflict.
· To strengthen the capacity and confidence of participants to deal effectively with risk-associated and emergency/critical situations while deployed in hostile environments abroad
Theteaching staffare trainers and experts from international organizations, including the UN, OSCE and NATO; diplomats and civil servants; military personnel; police officers; experts from the ICRC and humanitarian NGOs; independent consultants; and university professors.
The course uses a variety ofmethodologies, including lectures and presentations, debates, group work, practical and advanced role-playing sessions, outdoor activities and simulation exercises.
Participants who successfully complete the course will obtain adiplomafrom the International University Centre for Peace Missions of Helsinki España, and the Escuela de Organización Industrial (EOI).
Module I: Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding: conceptual framework
· Peace and conflict analysis
· Conflict prevention
· Conflict management
· Conflict resolution
Module II: International Law: Comprehensive overview
· Public International Law: basic concepts
· International Human Rights Law
· International Humanitarian Law
· International Criminal Law
Module III: Protection of Civilians
· Protection of civilians in armed conflict
· Women, Peace and Security. Gender in Operations
· Children and Armed Conflict
· Refugees and internally displaced people
Module IV: Conflicts and current threats to international peace and security
· Asia: Afghanistan, North Korea and Myanmar
· Middle East: Israel-Palestine, Iraq, Syria and Yemen
· Sub-Saharan Africa: Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali and South Sudan
· Maghreb: Libya and Western Sahara
· Eastern Europe and Caucasus: Ukraine and Kosovo
· Latin America: Colombia
· Radicalization, terrorism and violent extremism
· Transnational organized crime
· Weapons of mass destruction, Hybrid threats and Climate change
Module V: Key actors and their contribution to international peace and security
· United Nations, Peace and Security Pillar
· European Union, Common Security and Defense Policy
· Organization for the Security and Cooperation in Europe, OSCE
· African Union, Common African Defense and Security Policy
· North Atlantic Treaty Organization, NATO
· The role of Civil Society
Module VI: Tools for sustainable peace
· Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration of ex-combatants (DDR)
· Security Sector Reform (SSR)
· Accountability and transitional justice
· Democracy and Rule of Law
· Elections in peacebuilding
· The role of media in peace and conflict
Module VII: Skills and competencies
· Awareness of threats and risks. Personal security
· Safety and security procedures for vehicle movement
· Kidnapping and hostage survival
· Weapons, mines, improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnances
· Protection of classified and sensitive information
· First aid in hostile environments
· Orientation and communications in the field
· 4×4 off road driving
· Working with interpreters
· Stress management
· Negotiation and multicultural communication
· Chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear defense
· Addressing media
· Career Development
WORKING IN HOSTILE ENVIRONMENTS
As part of the REACT course, students will learn how to deal effectively with risk associated and emergency/critical situations while deployed in hostile environments abroad.
This training is expected to improve participants’ understanding of the behavioural requirements while working as a team member of an international field operation. **
COURSE FEE: 4950€ – which covers: 220h of training, registration fee, reading material, field visits and transportation, exam and diploma fee. REGISTRATION FEE: € 350 – This fee should be paid once the student is accepted and confirms his/her availability to participate in the course. Registration fee is non-refundable. NOT COVERED: Accommodation and meals in Madrid, travel costs other than the ones related to the field trip. SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE – There are a limited number of partial scholarships available, which only cover part of the course fee. All candidates are eligible to request financial aid. Partial scholarships are allocated based on available funds and candidates’ needs. Candidates who wish to be considered for a partial scholarships should enclose proof of their annual income and employment status. Documents should be officially translated into English or Spanish.
If you are interested in applying for this course, please send us a copy of the following documents:
·REACT Registration Form
·Recent digital photo, passport size
·Copy of passport
·Copy of academic transcripts
·Two letters of recommendation on letterheaded paper.They should include the date and stamp/signature of the entity/person that Is writing the letter. The ORIGINALS MUST be sent by post. Letters may be advanced via email, however, originals are still required.
·English Language Certificate. If you don’t have one, contact us and we will schedule a brief phone interview.
In case you apply for a partial scholarship,proof of your annual incometogether with an official translation to English or Spanish. This is absolutely mandatory.
Applications will be evaluated according to order of arrival until all available places are filled. Early applications are encouraged.
Application dossiers should be sent to:email@example.com
The registration form can be downloaded fromwww.humandimension.net