CONTEXT AND OVERVIEW
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland, which specializes in data collection, management and analysis in order to support humanitarian action. IMPACT is a sister organization of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and which is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its countries of intervention.
We currently have an open position for an Assessment Officer in Ukraine, seeking an established professional with knowledge and technical expertise in implementing multi-stakeholder assessments in a development context.
Title: REACH Assessment Officer – COVID 19
Location:Slovyansk, Ukraine with frequent travels to Kyiv, Severodonetsk and Mariupol
Contract duration:12 months
Start date: June 2020
The ideal candidate will be eager to work in a dynamic organization with opportunities to build coordination skills whilst overseeing multi-sector assessments which inform the humanitarian needs overview and humanitarian response plan.
In 2020, the Ukraine conflict opposing the Ukrainian Government and non-state armed groups in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions entered its fifth year. The 427-km contact line separating the warring factions continue to experience hundreds of daily ceasefire violations often provoking both military and civilian casualties. As of January 2020, the conflict has killed more than 13,000 people. According to the Ministry of Social Policy more than 1.4 million people were displaced because of the war and have resettled away from conflict areas in Ukraine and non-government-controlled areas, in Russia and other neighboring countries. The crisis in Ukraine is currently marked by regular spikes in fighting in strategic high-density urban areas in Avdiivka, Popasna, Stanitsa Luhansk and Mariupol the challenges facing IDPs after five years of displacement and the limited access to the large population residing in non-government areas.
In March 2020, the country registered its first case of COVID-19 and as of the 28th of April 2020, there are 9,410 confirmed cases including 239 deaths. However, with only 98,000 tests conducted for a population of 42 million these figures are likely underestimating the actual incidence of the disease in the population.
By establishing strict containment measures at the onset of the crisis in mid-March the Ukrainian authorities have been able to mitigate the impact of the disease on local health system, however these measures will have negative social and economic repercussions especially in the eastern conflict areas of Donetsk and Luhansk. To support the humanitarian community and authorities in managing this historical crisis, REACH has developed a COVID-19 program funded by USAID and ECHO to strengthen access to quality information during the response including:
i) a knowledge, attitude and practice assessment on health, hygiene and
access to information, ii) a humanitarian situation monitoring in non-government controlled areas (NGCA) and iii) a health facility assessment.
For this program, IMPACT is looking for an assessment officer for a duration of 12 months based in Sloviansk.
Under the functional supervision of the REACH/IMPACT Senior Assessment Officer in Ukraine and IMPACT HQ in Geneva, the REACH Assessment Officer is responsible for the coordination and implementation of all COVID-19 assessments in Ukraine falling under the REACH portfolio. He/she is also responsible for related coordination of logistics, partner engagement, reporting and project reporting.
In his/her mission, the Assessment Officer will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the responsibility of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates. S/he and will fully abide to ACTED’s Security, HR, Administration and Logistics rules and regulations.
Under the supervision of the Assessment Manager based in Kyiv, Ukraine, the REACH Assessment Officer will be responsible with the support of the REACH team in-country:
A. To coordinate implementation of all CVAs in all geographical units targeted under the REACH programme;
B. Draft assessment reports and tools documenting the key steps of the research cycle;
C. Share assessment results to key stakeholders;
D. Provide project management and M&E capacity to the assessment component of the REACH programme.
A. To coordinate implementation of all research cycles under the COVID-19 portfolio
- Support consultation with all critical partners including the United Nations, Health Authorities and NGOs
- Develop research design based on inputs from partners and the country focal point in accordance with IMPACT tools and templates
- Develop data collection strategies and tools based on research design strategy and global best practice
- Coordinate the implementation of surveys with the support of the field manager and field team leaders
- Consolidate inputs from partners, HQ and the team on all key assessment documents
- Adjust data collection strategies when needed
B.Draft assessment reports and tools documenting the key steps of the research cycle
- Manage a national assessment officer in charge of supported secondary data review and analysis of local statistics
- Ensure overall quality of outputs and adherence to standard IMPACT processes
- Proofread assessments and other key products to be released by IMPACT
- Oversee the development of a PowerBI platform to visualize assessment data in an interactive way
- Provide suggestions in terms of data visualization and data communication
- Ensure regular communication with Geneva HQ at critical steps of the assessments
- Ensure tracking of all feedback provided on products
C. Share assessment results to key stakeholders
- Draft presentations of assessments results
- Present key findings in different forums such as local level meetings, partner meetings and national level forums
- Suggest derivative products to communicate assessment results to wider audiences
D.Provide project management and M&E capacity to the assessment component of the REACH programme
- Support close compliance to M&E procedures of ACTED and IMPACT
- Provide suggestions for improving of programme monitoring practices
- Provide inputs into programme reports and project management tools (PMF, Monthly Coordination Reports)
- Conduct local staff appraisals and HR reviews
The Assessment Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to or collected during his/her assignment.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a master’s degree in development economics, health or another relevant discipline
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in development or transitional settings, through either research, evaluation, assessments, or programmes
- Past experience in managing large scale multi-stakeholder assessment required
- Prior field experience required. Field research, M&E, or assessment experience highly desirable
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting
- Excellent team management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Past experience in conflict affected regions is desirable
- Fluency in English required, Russian language skills is highly desirable
- Ability to operation Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software
- Advanced skills in SPSS and/or R, STATA or other statistical analysis software an advantage
- Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles
- Ability to work independently and manage people remotely
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance
- Free food and lodging provided at the organization’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
How to apply
Kindly submit your application at the following link:https://www.impact-initiatives.org/work-with-us/vacancies/reach-assessme…
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In case you encounter challenges using the application form, please contact us via