BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis, GIS and remote-sensing. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, which allows particularly IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of the two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
REACH has been present in Afghanistan since mid-2016, providing a growing evidence base for humanitarian and development response planning through sectoral, multi-sectoral, and area-based assessments as well as information management services. In 2020, REACH in Afghanistan has two distinct project portfolios, one focusing on Inter-Sectoral Research and coordinating heavily with the emergency humanitarian response, whilst the other explores Recovery and Resilience issues to support longer-term development solutions and disaster risk reduction programming.
With bases in all regions of Afghanistan, REACH is looking to build on its experience and established relations to further increase its geographic and sectoral coverage and to provide the humanitarian community with relevant and reliable information to strengthen strategic programming and needs-based targeting.
We are currently looking for a REACH Data Officer to support the Resilience and Recovery Research Unit (RRRU).
Position: REACH Data Officer
Contract Duration: 6 months
Location: Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan (with travel to Kabul, Afghanistan)
Start date: ASAP
IMPACT is seeking a versatile candidate, who has considerable experience processing and analysing complex datasets with R. The Data Officer will be heading the REACH Data Team for the RRRU in Afghanistan and in this role provide technical analysis support across all research cycles in Afghanistan for the unit, and should preferably have experience or interest in this field of research. The role will require a high level of autonomy and ability to liaise with several Assessment Officers and delegate tasks within the team effectively.
Under the supervision of the Country Coordinator in Afghanistan, direct line-management of the RRRU Research Manager, and in coordination with the Research Design and Data Unit in IMPACT’s HQ in Geneva, the REACH Data Officer will fulfill the following functions:
1. Data Management and Analysis Activities
1.1. Data cleaning, management, and merging
- Manage quantitative and qualitative data received from the assessment team;
- Maintain, update and expand R-based system of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
- Maintain, update and expand R system from automated data analysis.
- In coordination with the assessment teams of the RRRU, develop detailed technical data analysis plans, and then develop and validate R scripts for analysis in line with IMPACT data analysis guidelines for quantitative data collected during research cycles.
- Identify, design, and implement accurate assessment sampling frameworks with research units.
- In coordination with the RRRU and Country Coordinator, provide ad-hoc analysis support to external partners where relevant, where capacity allows, and according to donor contractual requirements.
1.2. Supervision and monitoring of remote data collection
- In coordination with RRRU, manage, update, and deploy questionnaires.
- In coordination with RRRU, develop and implement data cleaning protocols for each assessment cycle, including programming data-cleaning scripts in R to automate monitoring of daily data collection, ensuring that they are in-line with IMPACT guidelines,
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies, and review cleaning outputs prior to validation.
2. Technical Support
The REACH Data Officer will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions for assessments and projects for REACH Afghanistan. This will require close collaboration with the assessment and operations teams of the RRRU in the creation of tools and management of data, training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis and capacity building at different levels.
In this role, the DO will be expected to coordinate closely with other senior data staff and the Senior Management Team (SMT) to develop standardized procedures, frameworks, and trainings to mainstream data processes across the mission.
3. Staff Management
The REACH Data Officer will be responsible for day-to-day management of the RRRU Data Base Officers (DBOs), both directly and remotely. He/she is expected to guide and direct REACH staff and prepare and follow up work plans with each staff member that directly reports to him/her. The REACH Data Officer will be required to take the lead in the recruitment of DBOs in coordination with the ACTED HR Officer. This will include the preparation of ToRs, observation of recruitment procedures by planning recruitment needs in advance, and undertake tests and interviews.
4. Internal and External Coordination
The REACH Data Officer will liaise with IMPACT in Geneva to guarantee a quality product that suits the needs of the field office. He/she will respond to information requests from IMPACT Initiatives and keep Geneva informed of the IM activities in the field. Externally, the Data Officer will be expected to liaise with national and international partners, notably IM focal points in NGOs, UN agencies, and Clusters.
The REACH Data Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT.
- Excellent academic qualifications, including a Master degree in Statistics, Economics, GIS, Information Systems, or relevant discipline;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in information management, database management or a related field
- Proven experience in data processing and/or analysis (use of R mandatory);
- Advanced MS Excel skills (Advanced usage of formulas, Pivot tables, Lookup functions)
- Considerable experience using ODK for quantitative data collection
- Considerable experience creating ODK questionnaires
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent team working skills
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Fluency in English required
- Ability to work independently
- Experience and understanding of GIS-related activities highly desirable, including use of ArcGIS.
- Experience with industry standard mapping tools, especially ESRI products is desired
- Previous experience or interest in working in the field of development and or Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance
- Free food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
How to apply
Kindly apply using the following link: https://www.impact-initiatives.org/work-with-us/vacancies/reach-data-off…