deadline:25 Jan 2019
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
We are currently looking for a REACH GIS Officer to support our REACH team in Somalia.
Position: REACH GIS Officer
Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Hargesia, Somalia
Starting Date: ASAP
REACH has been operational in Somalia since 2012, providing information management support to humanitarian actors in a complex environment through assessment capacity, GIS services and support to Cluster IM practices. Projects have included tri-cluster assessments in support of the WASH, Shelter and Education Clusters, support to Food Security response analysis, and development of a Shelter Cluster M&E Framework.
Since 2016, REACH Somalia has expanded its information support to the humanitarian response in several key areas, including IDP settlement profiling, multi-cluster needs assessment and improved remote data collection. Key strategic aims are to increase geographic and sectoral coverage and to enhance advocacy capacity through strengthened data collection and information targeting.
The REACH GIS Officer Officer will fulfill the following functions:
1. GIS Activities
a. Preparation, conception and production of maps
- Identify map information needs;
- Identify and access map information sources;
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data;
- Production of GIS products including maps and facstheets.
- Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of REACH and concerned partners.
2. Data Management and Analysis Activities
a. Supervision and monitoring of remote data collection
- Monitor accuracy of data collected;
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies;
- Manage, update and deploy monthly questionnaire.
b. Data cleaning, management, and merging
- Manage data received from the team;
- Maintain, update and expand R-based system of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
- Maintain, update and expand R system from automated data analysis and map production for factsheets
3. Technical Support
The REACH GIS Officer will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions for assessments and projects for REACH Somalia. The REACH GIS officer will provide technical support assessments and analysis for REACH Somalia. These responsibilities will include creation and management of data collection tools, training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis, and ad hoc mapping support upon request.
4. Internal Communication Processes
The REACH GIS Officer will liaise with IMPACT in Geneva to guarantee a quality product that suits the needs of the field office. He/she will respond to information requests from IMPACT Initiatives and keep Geneva informed of the MIS activities in the field.
5. Confidentiality and Data Protection
The REACH GIS Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data.
Internally, the GIS Officer will work closely with REACH Assessment staff and where required IMPACT HQ. These relations will also extend to ACTED country staff including Program Development, AMEU and Area Coordinators.
Externally, the GIS Officer will be expected to liaise with national and international partners, notably IM focal points in NGOs, UN agencies and clusters.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities REACH and partners work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about REACH programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every REACH staff member.
- Master degree in Geography/GIS or a related discipline;
- 2 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in humanitarian context;
- Considerable experience analysing complex data with R mandatory; knowledge of other statistical programming languages and packages a plus;
- Previous experience with mobile data collection (ODK, ONA, KOBO);
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset;
- Fluency in English required;
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software;
- High level of autonomy and willingness to spend time in deep field locations away from IMPACT/ ACTED support;
- Ability to work independently.
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT’s partner ACTED
- Food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV and three references to email@example.com
Please indicate in the subject line of your email:
- The reference of the position: Ref: 19/SOM/GISO01
- An indication of where you first found this vacancy: IMPACT website / Reliefweb / CAGI / Coordination Sud / Georezo / Universities’ career website / personal contact / other.
For more information, visit us at http://www.impact-initiatives.org